[Peace-discuss] reply to message posted to CGS regarding teach-in on Syria

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 16 15:45:32 UTC 2013

Ed--

There are many good reasons not to be Harvard - the Kennedy School is one.

I have no objection to what you're advocating - just to what you're excluding.

Your speakers for this session are comfortably within the limits of allowable debate - neoliberal and neoconservative.

Where are the advocates for paleoconservative or left positions? Which of your panelists agree with Ron Paul or Noam Chomsky's views? It's their exclusion that's objectionable.

Your "teach-in" (you've borrowed - co-opted - that term from objections to regime-supporting academics 40 years ago) fails "to teach about the complexity of the Syrian civil war" if you exclude those voices.

Regards,

Carl