[Peace-discuss] Independent: French were 'hours' from strikes on Syria before phone call from Obama

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 30 15:56:15 UTC 2013

Robert

By "ultra-left structuralism" are you referring to many leftests insistance that unless we change the capitalist system there is no real hope for positive or lasting progress in respect to eleviation of poverty, war and/or climate change?  EX: they now criticize 350.org and Bill Kibbon's focus on defeating the XL pipeline as being counter productive in respect to "reducing climate change".
While I agree with them that unless we have real economic structural/system change we will never uproot the real problem. Nonetheless its worth addressing major issues that have tragic consequences for many of the peoples, animals, earth, etc., thus they are worth pursuing.  EX: Convincing our Congressional representatives by way of phone calls, petitions, and protests, that a missile strike against Syria is not in anyones best interest.
Where we must be cautious is the distractions, so many, that are thrown at us daily and are difficult to differentiate as "all important."

Karen Aram