[Peace-discuss] Fw: [CentralILJwJ] Fw: SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Health Care Human Rights Call

David Johnson davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 10:47:55 EDT 2014

      Click here to View Online and share on Facebook/Twitter  Tell a Friend

News from the Health Care Human Right Team
      Announcement
      There will be NO CALL TUESDAY

           This month Dr. Bill and Kurt Bateman will be taking leave and will return with an exciting and robust agenda for the call on Tuesday, May 20th, as the Single Payer team explores ways to expand the healthcare agenda.  May 22 is National Citizens Lobbying Day for Single Payer Click the "I Want Single Payer" button for more information, including how to get lobbying materials.

      See you next month!
      About this Team
      We support enhanced Medicare for All by replacing private insurers and recouping administrative savings amounting to hundreds of billions each year and instead using those funds to expand universal and equitable access to a single standard of high-quality care for all without financial barrier. This publically financed system would rely on progressive financing and would be privately and publically delivered by healers and hospitals. But a system financed by the public —with no bills, no co-pays, no deductibles, and no medically precipitated bankruptcies – the U.S. economy, its states, and individual communities would also be strengthened. We also support healthcare initiatives at the state and local level that move us toward this non-profit unified health care system.
      Legislation
      Please join our Google group for discussion of legislation.

        a.. HR 676  Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act

        b.. SB 1782  American Health Security Act of 2013 (for consideration)
      Please click on the links to the legislation above and VOTE on PopVox. This is a tool that Congressional members do use to get information on public support for or against legislation. Your input is crucial!
      PDA Letter Drops
      Next Letter Drop: April 16th
            Letter drops may be scheduled earlier this month given people's holiday and travel schedules. Once you have completed you letter drop, let us know and we will follow up. Remember, the purpose is to make our elected representatives in the Congress aware of progressive legislation and to educate them on it, and we can't do it without you, and there are a number of way to do this. Some folks just drop off the letter, while others schedule appointments to speak to staffers in their  home district offices. Some go as individuals, some go as groups, and some go with a coalition. How ever you decide to do it, we'd love to get a picture of you bringing them the letter.
            For more information about the letter drops, please go here: Educate Congress Page. On the 1st of each month you will find on this page a letter you can download and customize, information on the legislation, as well as information on how to do a letter drop. It's simple, but it makes a difference.
      PDA Round Table in Washington DC
      Next Round Table: April 16th
           Join us either online by clicking here or in person for our next Progressive Roundtable, convening Wednesday, April 16th on Capitol Hill at 1:00 pm EST. Each month leaders and representatives of social justice advocacy, climate change, single payer, and many other groups, in addition to progressive labor unions and members of Congress join us for this informative briefing and discussion.
      Latest News from our Page
      Rwanda Has Become a Poster Child for Health Equity: Life expectancy has doubled, and child vaccinations rates are higher…
      Twenty years ago this week, Rwanda's genocide began. Over the course of 100 days, more than 1 million people would be murdered, and after the violence ended, the country—including its health care system—was left in ruins. Cholera outbreaks were rampant, HIV was widespread and people no longer trusted the few doctors who remained in...
      Read more here!

      Hawaii's trailblazing healthcare underscores disparity
      When the giant kapok and nawa trees that tower over the Queen's Medical Center in downtown Honolulu were planted more than a century ago, Hawaii faced a health crisis. Many on the islands, including the queen who founded the hospital in 1859, feared that native Hawaiians, devastated by smallpox, measles and...
      Read more here!

      $1,000-a-day miracle drug shocks U.S. health care system
      Sovaldi, a new hepatitis C treatment, can cure up to 90 percent of patients within three months. There's just one problem: The drug costs $1,000 a day. That price tag has thrown the biotechnology world into turmoil, as lawmakers and insurance companies complain that Sovaldi's maker is trying to milk...
      Read more here!
     Join us in Northampton, MA

      Tickets Required for This Event

      .
      Issue Team Call
      April 16th @ 9 pm ET
      Stop Global Warming
      April 22nd @ 9 pm ET
      Election Integrity
      April 23rd @ 9 pm ET
      End Corporate Rule
      May 1st @ 9 pm ET
      ERA 3-State Strategy
      May 7th @ 9 pm ET
      Economic and Social Justice
      May 13th @ 9 pm ET
      End War and Occupations
      May 20th @ 9 pm ET
      Health Care Human Right

      Get Involved with HCHR

        a.. RSVP for the May call here
        b.. Visit the HCFA Team page here
        c.. Contact the team here
        d.. Join our Google group here
      How to Help? Donate to PDA!

      .PDA Letter Drops
      Next Letter Drop: April 16th

      PDA Round Table
      Wednesday, April 16th
      1 pm ET, 12 pm CT, 11 am MT, 10 am PT

Update Your PDA Profile
Find out more about Progressive Democrats of America
You are subscribed to Progressive Democrats of America as ejehle at sbcglobal.net
Privacy Policy
Click here to unsubscribe

Follow PDA

Visit Your Group
 • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use .