[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] On Holocaust Remembrance Day: A call to stop falsely accusing activists of anti-Semitism

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Mon Apr 28 19:15:53 EDT 2014

[Chomsky hasn't changed his opinion about BDS. He was never an uncritical supporter.]

Q: Turning to the Middle East, regarding the movement which calls for boycotting, divesting from and sanctioning (BDS) Israel, why do you think there is such a drastic disagreement between yourself and people (such as Naomi Klein) who traditionally agree with you wholeheartedly on Middle-East and other issues? Is this a mere issue of tactics? Is the BDS movement doing more harm than good?

NC: There is an interesting mythology that I have opposed the BDS movement. In reality, as explained over and over, I not only support it but was actively involved long before the "movement" took shape. BDS is, of course, a tactic. That should be understood. Norman Finkelstein warned recently that it sometimes appears to be taking on cult-like features. That should be carefully avoided. Like all tactics, particular implementations have to be judged on their own merits. Here there is room for legitimate disagreement. *I have been opposed to certain implementations, particularly those that are very likely to harm the victims, as unfortunately has happened*.

More generally, I think we should question the formulation you gave. It is convenient, particularly for Westerners, to regard it as an "anti-Israel movement." There are obvious temptations to blaming someone else, but the fact of the matter is that *Israel can commit crimes to the extent that they are given decisive support by the US*, and less directly, its allies. *BDS actions are both principled and most effective when they are directed at our crucial contribution to these crimes, without which they would end*; for example, boycott of western firms contributing to the occupation, working to end military aid to Israel, etc. [Emphases added]