[Peace-discuss] Academic Freedom

Karen Aram via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Aug 17 12:09:31 EDT 2014

Carl et all

You recently asked what those of us with AWARE could do in respect to the above and the firing of a Professor who speaks truth that others don't want to hear.

At our meeting a couple weeks ago, Pam Carsey suggested we do a petition in relation to the same subject.

Today I posted to the AWARE FB website, a plea from a former academic in Thailand, in respect to a law there that prevents free speech. He has asked those outside of Thailand to speak out and support efforts to boycott or shame those Professors or institutions. However, one must keep in mind that imprisonment is the penalty, for speaking out against the law of Lese Majeste.

I'm seeking more information on the subject as related to Thailand, but I'm wondering if it would be of value to combine our efforts with a petition that would be circulated worldwide.  I don't know what academic institution worldwide we should send this too, but welcome any comments or suggestions.  I do think we need to do something and a petition is always a good start.