[Peace-discuss] Gary Storm in today's NG

C. G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Dec 7 12:23:56 EST 2014

Gary's is indeed an excellent response to the Dey/Nelson mishegas that's occupied the local daily recently.

Two demurrers:

(1) to refer to "the critical role played by our own government in offering billions of dollars of aid to Israel annually, which simply facilitate these unjust actions," is to underestimate the role of the US government in the continuation of the oppression of the Palestinians. The force of world opinion is such that without the military, economic, political, and diplomatic support of the US, Israel's crimes would be impossible. And Washington supports those crimes not from principle but because Israel remains our "stationary aircraft carrier" for our imperialist designs on the Mideast. We as Americans should be addressing our objections to Washington, not Tel Aviv.

(2) The displaced Palestinians' 'right of return' is more than a "tricky moral/legal issue." The only way a 'two-state solution' can be implemented is with compensation for those Palestinians, not the restoration of their property in present-day Israel. The establishment of a free and independent Palestine in the West Bank and Gaza, with its capital in East Jerusalem, can occur only when the US ceases its 'rejectionism' and forces Israel to accept such an arrangement. Once again it's our problem and requires a change in US foreign policy (in all administrations) of two generations' standing.

--CGE