[Peace-discuss] Democracy Now (not Onion) headline

Carl G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Tue Dec 16 22:55:59 EST 2014

"...In transitu, two things seem not unworthy of our consideration, viz.

(1) that God's people are sometimes called by him to remove from the places of their nativity info a country afar off. This call of God's is not now immediate, as Abraham's was, but mediate; namely, when they cannot live comfortably where they are and have a plain prospect of mending themselves in another land. Or when they cannot enjoy the ordinances of God with peace and purity: this latter was the case of our pious predecessors, the first planters of this land: many of which had fair accommodations and very considerable estates; who yet for the satisfaction of their consciences accounted it far more eligible to turn their backs upon all the good things in their own native country and expose themselves and their families to great hazards and difficulties by sea and land, than to abide where they were. Surely it was not to gain great estates but for the promotion of religion and the advancement of their own and their posterities' spiritual good, that was in their eyes which made them to come from a fruitful land into this Jeshimon and uncultivated wilderness..."

--ABRAHAM THE PASSENGER, HIS PRIVILEGE AND DUTY, described in an election-sermon at Boston N.E. May 30, 1705, by Joseph Estabrook, A.M., and pastor of the Church of Christ at Concord.

[Note: in 17th century English, "passenger" = emigrant; cf. passenger pigeon (ectopistes migratorius)...]