[Peace-discuss] Progressive Caucus Statement on Cuba Policy

Robert Naiman via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Dec 18 15:27:07 EST 2014

Here's the Progressive Caucus statement. Tweeting & sharing recommended.
Especially this part:

"now it is up to Congress to act. Congress must lift the trade embargo and
normalize travel"

http://ellison.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/progressive-caucus-statement-on-cuba-policy
Progressive Caucus Statement on Cuba Policy
Dec 17, 2014
Press Release

WASHINGTON—Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) Co-Chairs Reps. Raúl M.
Grijalva (D-AZ) and Keith Ellison (D-MN) and CPC Peace and Security Task
Force Chair Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) released the following statement today
after President Obama announced a new policy towards Cuba.

“The United States isolated Cuba for 53 years in a failed attempt to
promote democracy and freedom. President Obama’s new course recognizes our
old approach towards Cuba didn’t work.

“Isolating Cuba separated the people of Cuba and their Cuban-American
family members, and impaired our ability to build constructive
relationships in Latin America. By restarting diplomatic relations and
establishing a new embassy, the U.S. can start conversations on issues like
commerce and human rights that have been dormant between our nations for
too long. We applaud President Obama for his bold new approach and welcome
news that, for the first time, both the U.S. and Cuba will attend the
Summit of the America’s in 2015.

“The president has laid out a promising path forward and now it is up to
Congress to act. Congress must lift the trade embargo and normalize travel
between our two nations, which are only 90 miles apart. The Congressional
Progressive Caucus looks forward to working with President Obama and
members of Congress who want to stabilize relations between the U.S. and
Cuba.”
===

Robert Naiman
Policy Director