[Peace-discuss] Obama admin. motive in opening to Cuba

C. G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Dec 18 21:10:47 EST 2014

After two generations of US terrorism against Cuba (mostly under Democratic presidents), Obama's sudden opening and prisoner swap require explanation.

Given his vicious campaign against Russia (and "pivot to Asia," directed against China), we might say that his primary concern is what's described by one of his intellectual bodyguards, Zbigniew Brzezinski. See his "The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives" (1997):

"Regarding the landmass of Eurasia as the center of global power, Brzezinski sets out to formulate a Eurasian geostrategy for the United States. In particular, he writes, it is imperative that no Eurasian challenger should emerge capable of dominating Eurasia and thus also of challenging America's global pre-eminence."

That "global pre-eminence" and "Eurasian geostrategy" are necessary of course for the profits of the 1%, not for the well-being of most people, in the US and abroad.  They of course suffer so that the profits of the few may increase. And Obama works for the latter.

To (re-)establish economic control over Eurasia requires preventing the BRICs from uniting against the US. (BRICS is the acronym for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.) Brazil stands for a united Latin America, a real political and economic threat to the US. Will rapprochement with Cuba herald greater influence with LA? They may be thinking that way in Foggy Bottom.

These days, the homey folks at the State Department and Congress may be recalling the proverb, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." They've killed a lot of people with vinegar, but diminishing returns may mean it's time for another ointment.

--CGE

Begin forwarded message: