[Peace-discuss] America as "Horror Show" David Simon on Moyers last night

ewj at pigsqq.org ewj at pigsqq.org
Mon Feb 3 06:50:53 UTC 2014

When I saw the title I thought of "real horrorshow"  like Alex and his
 droogies would say... of course that means "excellent", which it is not.

 The prison industry should be really terrifying stranger-than-friction
subject.
 Some judge in PA was imprisoned for getting a kickback for every kid he
 sent up.  Some get kickbacks, some just get their kicks.  They need some
more
kicking.

 I just noticed some polling group rated Illinois at the bottom of all 50
 states in terms of personal freedom. Pretty much my take on it and in a
 country like the USA is today...

 Ron Szoke said that one very possible future for the USA is fascism.
 That's also a possible interpretation of the present.

 Moyers last night
 > Sent: Feb 03 '14 13:09
 >
 > I didn't see it & was reporting another's account. Your critique sounds
 right. --CGE

 > On Feb 2, 2014, at 10:36 PM, Brussel, Morton K <brussel at illinois.edu>
 wrote:

 > > I guess I won't disagree with what you, Carl, write with regard to the

 Simons presentations, but I was amazed when he talked about the waste of
 our expenditures—that could be put to better use— that he
never brought up
 "our" military imperial actions and the complex that feeds from it.
Nothing
 about foreign policy. I was also disappointed that Simon seemed to
 apologize for Obama, putting all the blame of our present condition on
 Congress, not mentioning whom he has appointed to govern the federal
 economics. Something badly amiss in his otherwise useful remarks.

 > > The Moyers interview was for me flaccid.
 > >
 > > --mkb
 > >
 > > On Feb 2, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Carl G. Estabrook wrote:
 > >
 > >> From <mckenna193 at aol.com>:
 > >>
 > >> Simon, a former Police beat journalist in Baltimore, and producer of
 "The Wire", Obama's favorite show, was on Moyers last night.  Bill
provided
 a link to a speech Simon made in Australia in which he talked about the
 importance of Karl Marx in analyzing America's decline into a form of
 totalitarianism.  Simon (also co-creator of "Treme") called the U.S. a
 "horror show."