[Peace-discuss] Letter re James Kilgore

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 13:46:30 UTC 2014

The letter below was written and sent to the NG this past Sunday. Since it hasn't been published yet, I want to share it with these groups at this time:

I’m writing in response to the controversy over James Kilgore.
I’ve known Kilgore since 2011, when I joined a book group discussing The New Jim Crow by Michele Alexander. It was clear that his interest stemmed from his time in prison; the events that resulted in his incarceration were no secret to anyone caring to do an internet search. Having lived in LA in 1974, I am no stranger to the topic of the SLA.
Kilgore’s decisions and behavior during this period contributed to grievous injuries and the loss of a human life. He served his time, and I am aware of no legal basis for denying him employment for which he is qualified. While anyone is entitled to pass ongoing moral judgment on Kilgore, it would be inappropriate for University officials to consider their own moral judgments in making institutional choices pertaining to him.
If our system deems it appropriate for incarcerated individuals to return to society, then the law should make clear what restrictions if any will continue to be placed on them. My view is that if our society errs it is in the direction of being more punitive, not less.
I consider James Kilgore to be a friend, colleague, and supporter of my political campaign, which is a campaign for social justice. I am happy to have his support. I applaud the contributions he has made to the struggle for social justice in our community. Informed voters are encouraged to take these words into their consideration.