[Peace-discuss] Witness Against Torture - Activists Occupy National Museum of American History — Install Torture Exhibit to Mark Guantánamo Anniversary

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 04:26:22 UTC 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[ufpj-activist] Activists Occupy National Museum of American
History — Install Torture Exhibit to Mark Guantánamo Anniversary
Date: 	Sat, 11 Jan 2014 18:53:41 -0500
From: 	Matthew W. Daloisio <daloisio at riseup.net>
To: 	ufpj-activist <ufpj-activist at lists.mayfirst.org>

  Activists Occupy National Museum of American History ? Install Torture
  Exhibit to Mark Guantánamo Anniversary

Saturday, January 11, 2014: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS CONTACTS:
Jeremy Varon, 732-979-3119 <tel:732-979-3119>, jvaron at aol.com
<mailto:jvaron at aol.com>Frida Berrigan, 860-389-8566 <tel:860-389-8566>,
frida.berrigan at gmail.com <mailto:frida.berrigan at gmail.com>

Museum Atrium
<http://witnesstorture.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/1-11-14-wide.jpg>

Vowing to ?Make Guantanamo History,? human rights advocates from around
the country marked the beginning of the thirteenth year of torture and
indefinite detention at the prison camp with a dramatic protest at the
National Museum of American History. 150 activists occupied the atrium
of the crowded museum for more than two hours, speaking out against
torture and calling for Guantanamo to close.

The activists hung banners, stood in stress positions in hoods and
jumpsuits, spoke to the tourists, and with their bodies and voices
revised the museum?s ?Price of Freedom? exhibit to include twelve years
of torture and indefinite detention as the bitter cost of the United
States? misguided pursuit of ?national security.?

In a booming chorus, members of Witness Against Torture and other groups
read from a statement that**closed with the lines: ?to honor freedom and
justice and the struggles of Americans for these things, we must end
torture, close the prison and make Guantanamo history.?

Chantal deAlcuaz, a Witness Against Torture activist from Anchorage,
Alaska spent the two hours in an orange jumpsuit and black hood. She
reflected that: ?We came here today because we want to see Guantanamo
relegated to a museum ? to be shuttered and condemned, but also
understood as an example of where fear, hatred and violence can take us.?

The museum protest followed a robust and spirited rally at the White
House that featured speeches from grassroots activists, Guantanamo
attorneys and representatives of national human rights organizations.

?It was so great to see the spirit of hope at the White House, in the
streets of DC and at the museum,? said Chris Knestrick, a divinity
student form Chicago. ?We definitely moved closer to our goal of closing
Guantanamo today. And the work will continue!!?

Since Monday, January 6, Witness Against Torture activists from
throughout the country have gathered in Washington, D.C. to engage in
street theater, demonstrations, fasting and direct action to demand that
Guantanamo be closed immediately.  There were also anti-Guantanamo
protests and vigils throughout the country, including in Los Angeles,
CA, Boston MA, Chicago IL, Santa Monica, CA Erie, PA, and Cleveland, OH.

*Witness Against Torture* is a grassroots movement that came into being
in December 2005 when 24 activists walked to Guantanamo to visit the
prisoners and condemn torture policies. Since then, it has engaged in
public education, community outreach, and non-violent direct action.
January 2014 is the eighth year the group has gathered annually in
Washington, DC to call for justice and accountability. To learn more,
visit www.witnesstorture.org
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.witnesstorture.org%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEehDyK1ELu5R52qU8hdMLd6zRoHQ>