[Peace-discuss] let's put marijuana referenda on the November ballots

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 22 02:43:21 UTC 2014

[1] If you want to stop drunk driving, prohibit drunk driving. Don't try to limit the amount of alcohol offered for sale, by tax or regulation, as a round-about way to do it.

Alcohol in any form like any other food/drink offered for sale must meet standards of purity.

And it's reasonable to prohibit some substances' - gasoline, alcohol, etc. - being sold to minors.

[2] If you want to stop deaths from tobacco, prohibit the commercial sales of tobacco. (But don't bust people for possession - or growing their own.)

A great number of people die from tobacco each year, but no one dies from marijuana; therefore the commercial sale of the latter should be permitted.

[3] If you tax something, you get less of it: that's the theory behind sin taxes. Therefore income and consumption should not be taxed: you don't want less of them.

But you do want less differential wealth. Wealth has concentrated in fewer and fewer hands at an accelerating rate for more than a generation. Tax it, not income.

What should be taxed is investable assets - the money people don't need to live. Roughly a 15% tax on investible assets (not net worth) over $1 million would erase the deficit - and 99% of American would not be affected by the tax, because they do not have investible assets over a million dollars.

Then we should turn our attention to a guaranteed annual income at the level of a living wage, as proposed by Martin Luther King and the Nixon administration.

A negative income tax (NIT) - adumbrated by the slow growth of the EITC over the last 40 years - is perhaps the easiest way to establish a guaranteed annual income (GAI).

A greatly expanded WPA is the proper concomitant to GAI and NIT. See now Alan Nasser, "Why FDR Did Not End the Great Depression – and Why Obama Won’t End This One" <http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/01/08/why-fdr-did-not-end-the-great-depression-and-why-obama-wont-end-this-one/>.

--CGE