[Peace-discuss] Kraft TIF

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 02:06:40 UTC 2014

Let me conclude my comments for now on this topic in the following way: When I learned about the Kraft TIF, I didn't necessarily relate it to the mythical $50,000 jobs with no qualified applicants. But of course they are related, in that the taxpayers are expected to fund both training and the warehouse, and politicians--Gerard mentioned Dick Durbin as well as Ramage at the meetings he attended--love to take credit for both "education" and "jobs." This is a package deal when it comes to political obeisance and corporate welfare. We need some decent investigative reporting to expose all of this. In the Chicago Reader, Ben Jarovsky exposed the TIF scams under Daley Jr. quite thoroughly, which you can search for online.

Durl Kruse presented his argument against TIF last evening to the Champaign City Council, followed by me. There is, of course, a 5 minute limit to democratic speech. In this case, there was only the two of us attempting to express our views. Durl read the first 3 minutes of a prepared presentation, and then was interrupted by Tom Bruno and Don Gerard for a total of 5 minutes of debate about the length of his presentation. Then Durl read for another 3 or 4 minutes before being firmly halted.