[Peace-discuss] David Green's article

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Jul 13 11:49:00 EDT 2014

    Informed citizens, solidarity needed to save us

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 7:00am | The News-Gazette
<http://www.news-gazette.com/author/news-gazette>

By David L. Green

Over the past four decades our democracy has increasingly become one in
name and electoral process only. Nevertheless, we are fortunate that
revealing information is widely available and that some scholars and
analysts have been up to the challenge of explaining our plight. We have
a number of important recent studies that illuminate our history and
current reality, and can inform our collective political behavior.

Most celebrated among these studies is Thomas Piketty's Capital in the
Twenty-First Century, which explains the long-term trend of increasing
wealth and income inequality, nationally and globally. Piketty
summarizes historical data in a manner that debunks the notion that we
live in a meritocracy in which income and wealth disparities reflect
educational achievement and productive contributions. Moreover, the
dynamics of financial capitalism and wealth accumulation are such that
disparities will continue to increase exponentially unless a fundamental
political response is successful.

Piketty's proposal of a redistributive wealth tax, including on a global
level, nevertheless begs the question of how this is to be achieved in
light of the overwhelming political influence of the economic plutocracy
and political oligarchy that dictate policy in all important areas, as
well as controlling the mainstream media and the electoral process. He
also fails to address the need for more fundamental structural changes
in what has become a ruthless, violent, and climate-threatening global
system of neoliberal capitalism.

The origins and nature of our undemocratic society are addressed in two
important recent articles. Political scientists Martin Gilens and
Benjamin Page in "Testing Theories of American Politics" have
meticulously constructed a database of nearly 2,000 federal government
policy decisions over two decades. They conclude that economic elites
and organized business interests have substantial impacts on U.S.
government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups
have little or no independent influence: "The results provide
substantial support for theories of Economic Elite Domination and for
theories of Biased Pluralism, but not for theories of Majoritarian
Electoral Democracy or Majoritarian Pluralism."

Even less surprisingly, foreign policy is completely unaccountable to
the majority of citizens. In "National Security and Double Government,"
Michael J. Glennon traces the history of what he calls the "Trumanite"
national security state since World War II. He concludes that U.S.
security policy has been defined by executive officials who "operate
largely removed from public view and from constitutional constraints."

The public believes that the constitutionally-established institutions
control national security policy, but Glennon convincingly argues that
that view is mistaken: "Judicial review is negligible; congressional
oversight is dysfunctional; and presidential control is nominal. Absent
a more informed and engaged electorate, little possibility exists for
restoring accountability in the formulation and execution of national
security policy."

These democracy deficits in domestic and foreign policy are two sides of
the same coin, and that coin is the historical control of our economy
and government by big business and Wall Street banking, including their
global ambitions. In their important book The Making of Global
Capitalism, economic historians Leo Panitch and Sam Gindin define four
decades of rapacious neoliberal economic policies as a response to
partially successful democratizing efforts and increased economic
equality from 1945-75.

They describe neoliberalism---that is, globalization, outsourcing,
financialization, corporate capture of state regulatory mechanisms
(patent regimes, multinational trade agreements), privatization of
government functions, tax evasion, phony government debt crises,
increased private debt, militarization, healthcare for profit, attacks
on labor unions and government employees --- as "political responses to
the democratic gains that had been previously achieved by subordinate
classes and which had become, in a new context and from capital's
perspective, barriers to (wealth) accumulation."

Neoliberalism has involved not just reversing those gains, but weakening
their governmental institutional foundations, including a "shift in the
hierarchy of state apparatuses" towards the Treasury and Federal Reserve
(as well as "national security") at the expense of the old "New Deal
agencies": Labor, Housing and Urban Development, Education, Health and
Human Services, and welfare/safety net programs.

Due to the actions of unelected but powerful individuals in
unaccountable and opaque institutions, we have witnessed a destructive
global empire, diminished public provision, crippling private
indebtedness, and a government that is ultimately unresponsive to the
needs and demands of the vast majority of citizens, including the
fundamental need for full employment at living wages. What politicians
offer is platitudes and gimmickry in lieu of honestly addressing these
structural crises, which would require them to confront the interests of
concentrated wealth that pay for their campaigns.

We have allowed to be imposed upon us a deep-seated and
institutionalized economic plutocracy and political oligarchy, insuring
increased and unjust inequality and attendant class warfare from the top
down, as well as organized attacks on civil liberties --- especially of
those who challenge authority. Only informed citizens acting in
organized and purposeful solidarity can begin to change that.

David L. Green, a social policy analyst with the University of Illinois'
Institute of Government and Public Affairs, lives in Champaign.