[Peace-discuss] Academic freedom, killing in Gaza

David Green via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Jul 24 09:39:05 EDT 2014

http://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/letters-editor/2014-07-24/ui-prof-has-right-f-word-tweets.html
I refer to D. Gehrig's letter in this morning's paper, only to emphasize the importance of "academic freedom" as a refuge from seriously considering events in the Middle East. "Academic Freedom" has its place, whether in relation to the BDS movement's call for boycott, or orchestrated campaigns against those who protest U.S./Israeli policies in the ME. Nevertheless, it's conversations about those policies themselves that should be taking place.

We can also see that D. Gehrig rides to the rescue for AF in relation to Mr. Salaita, but AF is only a subset of broader Freedom of Speech issues, such as have been discussed on this list with a different tone by D. Gehrig. It seems to me that one should not have to have the tenure privileges accorded by AF to be accorded FS, however repugnant one's views might be to others.

It would also seem that the futures of children in Gaza and policies that threaten them should be the first priority. What would be refreshing would be that Mr. Salaita's arrival portends a greater willingness to publicly discuss and debate these issues within the academic confines.

DG