[Peace-discuss] Academic freedom, killing in Gaza

David Gehrig via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Jul 24 14:23:11 EDT 2014

The University is a governmental institution, and therefore subject to the Constitution, First Amendment and all, just as UP-TV is. Similarly, Francis's antisemitic ravings are legally protected speech. I will defend his right to say it on the street corner, and on UP-TV.

This mailing list, however, is the product of AWARE. It sets its own editorial policy. There is no legal requirement that Francis be allowed to spew here. He is here entirely on AWARE's sufferance. Therefore AWARE is morally culpable for what it chooses to distribute. It chooses to distribute the antisemitic ravings of a foilhatted loon, up to and including 100% gen-you-wine Nazi propaganda in the last couple days.

Francis has the right to goosestep his ass off up and down Main Street if he wants. Let him scream all he wants about the Jews who have infiltrated his Post Toasties. He has that right. But that doesn't mean that AWARE has to act as his megaphone. In fact, as I have argued for about a year now, doing so completely negates AWARE's claim to be an anti-racist organization rather than a kaffieklatsch with an open-door-to-neo-Nazis policy.

@%<