[Peace-discuss] House Vote on Iraq War Powers TODAY-Call Davis; some updates

Robert Naiman via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Fri Jul 25 11:06:52 EDT 2014

I just talked to Davis' office in DC. The staffer said that Davis is
"listening to both sides of the debate," and is interested in hearing from
constituents.

I hammered on the point that this is not a vote on whether the U.S. should
deepen its military intervention in Iraq, although I strongly believe that
the U.S. should not deepen its military intervention in Iraq. This is a
vote on whether the President and Congress will obey the Constitution,
which requires that Congress, not the President, decide when the country
goes to war. This is, I think, a good message for swing Republicans, and I
think that on this Davis is a swing Republican, to vote for the
Constitution.

My sense is that Democrats will overwhelmingly vote yes. Quigley's staffer
- not among the most progressive Democrats - told me yesterday that Quigley
was definitely voting yes. Eliot Engel - who voted for the Iraq war and is
one of the most hardline pro-AIPAC Democrats in the House, said this in the
floor debate:

HConRes105 "reaffirms our belief that combat troops should not be deployed
to Iraq without our approval...The US combat mission in Iraq is over..we
cannot allow ourselves to be sucked into another sectarian quagmire"

So whether this passes or not is going to be determined by how Republicans
like Rodney Davis vote. Call now: *(202) 225-2371*.