[Peace-discuss] Islamic countries threaten trade sanctions against Australia over E. J'lem policy

ya'aQov via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sun Jun 15 01:10:21 EDT 2014

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/.premium-1.598551

Diplomats from Islamic countries have warned the Australian government  of
possible trade sanctions if it does not retract its recent decision to
refer to East Jerusalem as "disputed territory," rather than the
internationally accepted "occupied territory."

The Australian Broadcasting Company reported
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-13/australia-threatened-with-sanctions-over-israeli-settlements/5520248?>
that after a meeting Wednesday between delegates from 18 Islamic countries
and senior Australian Department of Foreign Affairs officials, Izzat
Abdulhadi, head of the General Delegation of Palestine to Australia, said:
"There are a lot of exports of meat to the Arab world and now also we're
talking about the wheat."

Such a move would undermine Australian efforts to expand access for local
produce in the Middle East, ABC reported.

"I think ... the interest of Australia is to work with the Arab world,"
Abdulhadi said.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Foreign Affairs said diplomats from
both sides have agreed to keep an "open dialogue" on the issue.

Last week the Palestinian Authority condemned Australia's policy shift and
warned that it was weighing its response.

In a letter sent to Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, which was
obtained by Haaretz, Palestinian Chief Negotiator Saeb Erekat said the
Palestinians view this decision "in the gravest terms," and accused
Australia of not recognizing the illegality of Israel's settlements policy.

A statement released by Australia's attorney general revealed that the
country will no longer refer to East Jerusalem as an occupied territory, a
dramatic shift in Australian policy on Israel since 1967.

''The description of East Jerusalem as 'Occupied East Jerusalem' is a term
freighted with pejorative implications, which is neither appropriate nor
useful,'' the statement said, adding that Australia must not use such
"judgmental language."

In his letter, Erekat said the term "occupation" is not judgmental, but a
recognition of the "legal fact" that Israel occupies the Palestinian
territories, as affirmed by a UN resolution.

Erekat said Australia's refusal to use the term "occupation" with regards
to East Jerusalem is the latest in a pattern of behavior which shows
Australia "has no interest in complying with its duty under international
law not to recognize the illegal Israeli settlement regime in Palestinian
territory."

YA’AQOV  ziso

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 7:48 AM, David Johnson <davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net