[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Everywhere is War

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Jun 18 00:15:05 EDT 2014

This article was posted recently in a variety of places. Peace and
Solidarity,
http://www.blackstarnews.com/us-politics/justice/everywhere-is-war.html

*Everywhere is War*
by Andy Piascik
Summer approaches and the stench of war is all around. Or, as the great
Bob Marley put it, Everywhere is War. Start with the commemorations over
a five-week span of Memorial Day, Flag Day and Independence Day, all
presented varyingly as celebrations of our war dead, symbols of our
greatness, the freedoms we love so dearly and seek to export to every
corner of the world and, perhaps most important, the unquestioned
rightness of our cause.
In reality, the celebrations are of imperialist war, with the talk about
the hallowed dead just so much cover for the murderous nature of US
foreign policy. Celebrating the dead – note that the dead celebrated are
just the American dead, not any of the millions killed by US aggression
or client states – is a no-lose proposition designed to render anyone
who asks the wrong questions a traitor or a terrorist. The notion that
the US regularly commits war crimes and that polished, well-educated men
like John Kennedy and Barack Obama are war criminals is unthinkable; war
criminals look like Osama bin-Laden and Saddam Hussein and those other
nasty people far away, over there.
It’s also the summer of the centennial of the start of what in its time
was known as the Great War, the greatest blood-letting in history except
for that of the Second Great War barely two decades later. Of one thing
we can be sure and that is that the lessons drawn from mainstream
discussions of World War 1 will be all the wrong ones. Worse, the
spectacle of the intelligentsia waxing eloquent about the horrors of war
while unflinchingly cheering on the warmakers in Washington will be
accepted by one and all of their kind as perfectly reasonable – as
beyond discussion, in fact.
In recent weeks, meanwhile, mainstream commentators have been shocked to
discover that things in Iraq are not alright, in fact are worse than at
any time since the second US blitzkrieg in 2003. Gee, who knew. Who knew
that an invasion predicated on a lie of weapons of mass destruction,
designed to secure control of massive oil supplies, would go wrong? The
political class and intelligentsia didn’t, or at least they pretended
they didn’t, but millions around the world who demonstrated against the
invasion in the weeks before it was launched certainly did. And one of
the points those demonstrators underscored was that a US invasion would
fuel sectarian divisions and violence, precisely as has happened.
Al-Qaeda, which did not exist in Iraq prior to the invasion, now
flourishes while a new group, the Islamist State of Iraq and Syria
(ISIS), rampages through the country.
The response of many elites in the US, naturally, is for more war. Calls
from certain factions for a third US invasion are growing louder and,
true to his preference for violence over diplomacy, Obama has sent a
strike force to Iraq. Whether the people of the United States can come
together as we did last summer when we rose up and prevented Obama from
attacking Syria remains to be seen. As beaten down as we may be, we must
at least try.
Also on the war front is the Veterans Affairs’ disgraceful neglect of
ex-soldiers in need of medical care. For years, political elites have
been slashing benefits for veterans while increasing spending on weapons
and cutting taxes for the Super Rich. That the problem came to a head
with a Democrat in the White House is simply an accident of timing, and
it is especially outrageous that the most enthusiastic cheerleaders of
the illegal Bush-Cheney invasions, as well as reductions to the VA’s
budgets and the tax cuts for 1%, now pretend that they care about soldiers.
Equally farcical is the commencement of yet another round of hearings on
the deaths of four Americans in Benghazi. Such hearings would certainly
be valuable if everything related to US actions in Libya since the
launch of the 2011 assault were up for review, but there is virtually no
chance of that happening. The deaths of tens of thousands of Libyans in
yet one more illegal military strike, as well as the resulting chaos and
violence in that country, is of no concern to those who long for the
good old days of Bush-Cheney interested only in scoring political points.
Last but not least is the saga of the much-vilified Bowe Bergdhal, a
heroic young man who came to see the criminal nature of the US invasion
of Afghanistan. The refusal of working class youth to fight for Empire
is the ruling class’s biggest nightmare and the attacks on Bergdahl,
like the show trial that convicted Chelsea Manning, show how far they
will go to punish those in uniform who dare challenge their objectives.
A hidden aspect of the movement that ended US carnage in Southeast Asia
is that it was the widespread opposition of soldiers, both as embodied
by organizations like Vietnam Veterans Against the War as well as active
duty resisters, that decisively turned the tide.
So alarming was this development that two massive disinformation
campaigns were immediately launched: the myth of the hostility of the
anti-war movement for returning soldiers that sought to drive a wedge
between active duty and homefront resistance (see, for example, Jerry
Lembcke’s outstanding book _The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory and the
Legacy of Vietnam_); and the completely fraudulent MIA blitz (expertly
exposed by Bruce Franklin in _MIA, or Mythmaking in America)_ concocted
by the Nixon Administration to shift attention away from the death and
destruction wrought by the US to the plight of nonexistent prisoners of war.
Because preventing any similar development of resistance among soldiers
is central to imperial objectives, discussion has largely avoided what
Bergdahl actually said about his service in Afghanistan, including his
telling declaration in a 2009 e-mail to his parents, as quoted by Amy
Goodman on /Democracy Now!/: “The future is too good to waste on lies
and life is way too short to care for the damnation of others as well as
to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I've seen
their ideas, I'm ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self
righteous arrogance that they thrive in.” Rather than joining in the
Bowe Bergdhal lynch mob, US soldiers everywhere, not to mention those
with loved ones in the military, would do well to heed his words and
experience.
Lastly, the same standard that applies to the war crimes of others
applies to the US. As articulated by Robert H. Jackson, chief US
prosecutor at Nuremberg, a war of aggression such as committed by the US
against Afghanistan and Iraq “is not only an international crime; it is
the supreme international crime, differing only from all other crimes in
that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.” In
such a circumstance, what Bergdahl did was proper and, it could be
argued, /obligatory/ for anyone party to war crimes. So amidst the flag
waving and speechifying that glorifies imperialism, we should support
him and prisoners of conscience like Chelsea Manning. We should demand
that all services veterans require be provided, that US bases around the
world be closed, that soldiers be returned home and that the US cease
its campaign of endless aggression. And as enticing as the military may
seem in such desperate economic times, we should counsel young people to
stay away no matter how bleak the alternatives may be.
/Andy Piascik is a long-time activist and award-winning author who
writes for /Counterpunch, Z Magazine /and many other publications and
websites. He can be reached at //andypiascik at yahoo.com/
<mailto:andypiascik at yahoo.com>/./