[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] [Peace] News from Neptune for 14 March 2014

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 14:08:13 UTC 2014

I appreciate Ahmad's thoughtful and incisive comments, and his organizing both my talk and Rabbi Rosen's. I look forward to a local movement that challenges institutionalized support for apartheid on this campus in its relationships with Israeli universities, and in its relationship with the local Zionist community. These should be called out, and Phyllis Wise and other administrators should be constructively and publicly shamed for their blatant hypocrisy and racism. As I said in my talk on 2/19, there is no longer any call for arguments with apologists for Israel, including the two individuals commenting in this thread. It's time to move forward confidently and righteously in organizing an assertive movement on this campus, hopefully in association with students at UIC and perhaps elsewhere--as indeed many campuses have been subject to an organized campaign of repression by Jewish United Fund in Chicago.  I hope that Jewish students will be a part of
 this, and that the Open Hillel movement will find some traction. In any event, I would encourage those on this list to no longer indulge or argue with those interlopers who act in bad faith and who do not in any genuine way support needed changes in USFP and Israel's apartheid state.

DG

On Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:43 AM, ya'aQov <yaaqovz at gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you for your letter, Ahmad. Your call to focus on something we can
collaborate on, and protest against atrocities done in our name, and
with our moneys​​​ is so timely and welcome!

>I regret how concepts such as BDS, apartheid, Zionism, Jewish,
Israeli/Palestinian were used without a call for understanding what they stood for.  Instead they were used as slogans ('shortcuts').  The fact
that coincided with David Green's talk to SJP a week earlier, and with
his campaign for Congress using those shortcuts was regrettable, though
not a mere coincidence.  Opposition to Israel is divided and conflicted, yet we have to work with that, accurately acknowledge its parameters
and dynamics, and inform our constituents accordingly.

>Chomsky and Finkelstein's clips were not out of context.  Chomsky's point about the education needed so that divestment is successful pertains to our
mission together.  In the case of ASA such education took decades.
Shortcutting that to slogans won't promote the needed education and
understanding, it will fail.

>Finkelstein's point about exaggerating
'growing numbers and success' as a cult-dynamic ​wa​s exactly what Rabbi
Rosen did.  But these issues are now water under the Allenbi Bridge, and our issues, as you so eloquently put it, are the atrocities conducted
in the name of that Bridge​, and the US responsibility in that.​

>Could SJP organize a debate/panel on BDS where presenters (based on
research) will address the movement's goals, tactics, moving forward? ​