[Peace-discuss] Fwd: AFTER ITS DISASTROUS DEFEAT, WHICH WAY NOW FOR THE LABOR MOVEMENT?

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Nov 6 11:07:13 EST 2014

**

*AFTER ITS DISASTROUS DEFEAT ON NOVEMBER 4, WHICH WAY NOW FOR THE LABOR
MOVEMENT?*

*[Please forward widely.]*

There is no disagreement within the labor movement that we took a very
big hit in the November 4 elections. Labor's worst enemies among the
politicians -- Scott Walker inWisconsinand John Kasich inOhio, who led
the charge against public employees' bargaining rights -- registered
significant victories. A large number of other Republicans across the
country share their anti-labor bias.

But what about the Democratic Party, supposedly the party that
represents the interests of workers? It was repudiated by millions of
workers who either stayed home on election day or cast their ballots for
the Republicans.

In 2008, Obama was elected president, and Democrats won control of both
Houses of Congress. Hope**was in the air. But in short order, the
Democratic Party betrayed its promises to labor --- without whom the
Democrats could never have won the election. No legislation guaranteeing
full employment was enacted. No infrastructure funding was approved. No
labor law reform was passed. No "card check" ("Employees Free Choice
Act") saw the light of day. No end to deportations and the breakup of
families transpired. Instead, a bill on health care authored by the very
conservative Heritage Foundation was pushed through Congress without
even a promised public option, making the insurance companies happy but
leaving vastnumbers with no health care or patently inadequate
coverage.And anti-worker trade bills were relentlessly pursued, wars and
occupations in faraway countries were escalated, and more recently
Democrats joined Republicans in allowing unemployment compensation for
the long-term unemployed to expire while food stamp funding was cut
further by $8.6 billion.

In short, the President and Congressional Democrats, with the exception
of only a small minority, turned on labor and in the process fueled the
disillusionment that led to Tuesday's vote.*Tens of millions of workers
have had it with the Democratic Party*. According to the latest Gallup
Poll, 58% of theU.S.population has concluded that a new party should be
formed.

A CBS exit poll taken on election day reported that 63% of Americans
believe that the economic system favors the wealthy. Dissatisfaction
with the status quo is very widespread and disgust with both major
parties runs deep. All that is missing is leadership that only the labor
movement and its community allies can provide to bring a new party into
existence.

*A Bankrupt Strategy*

**

Unfortunately, up to this point, too many labor leaders have doggedly
stuck with the Democratic Party. But the rank-and-file increasingly
reject this strategy. So the generals in labor are losing their army as
the labor movement sinks ever more deeply into crisis.

Today labor is a junior member of the Democratic Party's coalition. But
it is the big corporations and banks which continue to control that
party. (Seventy percent of the Democrats' funding comes from the big
corporations and some millionaires and billionaires.) To be sure, Wall
Street gave the Democrats more money in the 2008 elections than to the
Republicans, but this time around they gave more money to the
Republicans. When the Democrats win, Wall Street wins. When the
Republicans win, Wall Street wins. But either way, labor loses.

We have to ask: What in the world is labor doing in the same party as
the corporate elite? Shouldn't we be in the same independent party --
*that is, a party without the bosses* -- as the civil rights movement,
communities of color, the youth, working farmers, immigrants, and
progressive social movements?

*Where Do We Go From Here?*

**

Tough times lie ahead for the labor movement*.***Blaming Obama for all
that has gone wrong -- of course he bears his share of the
responsibility -- won't get us out of the mess we are in. What is
urgently needed is a debate throughout the labor movement regarding what
we must do in the political and electoral arena from this point on. Let
advocates of sticking with the Democrats have their say. But let
advocates of independent labor/community political action have their say
as well.

There is no time to waste. The labor movement can be revitalized if we
adopt as our slogan "The Bosses Have Two Parties --We need One of Our
Own!" and take the concrete organizational steps to bring such a new
party into existence. The alternative is for labor to continue to suffer
further horrendous defeats and disappear as a viable social movement.
The choice is ours to make, and it will determine where we in labor go
from here.

/Issued by the Labor Fightback Network.//For more information, please
call 973-944-8975 or email conference at laborfightback.org or write Labor
Fightback Network, P.O. Box 187, Flanders, NJ07836or visit our website
at laborfightback.org. Facebook link/:
https://www.facebook.com/laborfightback//

//

/Donations to help fund the Labor Fightback Network based on its program
of solidarity and labor-community unity are necessary for our work to
continue and will be much appreciated. Please make checks payable to
Labor Fightback Network and mail to the above P.O. Box or you can make a
contribution online. Thanks!///

//