[Peace-discuss] this week: Congress moots Iraq/Syria AUMF...

C. G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Tue Nov 11 21:57:07 EST 2014

It would be much better to oppose the generations-long US war for control of Mideast resources - and demand Obama's impeachment for murder, a high crime and misdemeanor. Do not give him a resolution that can be interpreted as a license for more war, however 'limited.'

Obama's war policy is not new - he's the fourth president in a row to bomb Iraq. He's simply lied about what he's doing more than the others.

He's now bombed eight predominantly Muslim countries (two more than Bush). US goals - control of Mideast energy resources for the benefit of the 1% - remain constant.

Meanwhile, his belligerent moves in eastern Europe are if anything even more dangerous.

One of the few US politicians who has spoken with any sense on these matters (regardless of what he has said elsewhere) is Ron Paul, who calls for bringing US troops (and mercs) home, and closing America's 1,000 overseas bases. (Russia has 11 overseas bases; China has one.)

Moves by liberals to 'restrain' Obama's war-making are at best ill-advised. To what other belligerent in last 100 years would they have given a 'new AUMF'?

In memory of Jeannette Rankin, CGE

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/11/the-exploitation-of-veterans-day/