[Peace-discuss] Call Durbin: SFRC hearing today on ISIS war

C. G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Nov 12 21:21:12 EST 2014

Has anyone noted the remarkable similarity between H. Con. Res 114 and the "Address of Reichstag Liberals to the German Chancellor" of September 2, 1939?

The latter opposed the use of ground troops and said that the ongoing Blitzkrieg against Poland should be narrow and limited.

In particular, any Reichstag authorization of the use of military force should
	• prohibit ground troops, as the Chancellor has said;
	• be narrowly focused on Jews and Polish terrorists, as the Chancellor has said;
	• have a time limit or sunset provision so that it has to be renewed in the future for war to continue rather than lasting indefinitely by default; and
	• include a provision for regular public reporting on civilian deaths and injuries from the Blitzkrieg, so that the public, Members of the Reichstag, and journalists can better understand reports in the media about civilian casualties.

Unfortunately, the Address seems to have had little effect. The Chancellor thanked the Reichstag for its support.

###