[Peace-discuss] Congress: no $$ for war without debate & vote

Robert Naiman via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Tue Nov 18 11:50:34 EST 2014

Dear Karen,

You rationalize ignoring Congress on the grounds that Congress "does not
represent the people." But according to public opinion polls, the American
public supports airstrikes against ISIS in Iraq and Syria. If Congress
supports airstrikes against ISIS in Iraq and Syria, then according to these
opinion polls, Congress IS representing the people.

If you look around, you will see that people who have a possibility of
achieving something concrete in the political system on other issues take
objective reality as a starting point. It's a symptom of weakness that the
peace movement in the United States doesn't have strong institutions to try
to defend its interests in the political system, as other reform interests
do. In this vacuum, the ideological ultra-left has more sway. I suspect, in
fact, that the ultra-left has a tendency to cotton to anti-war issues
precisely because it's an arena where ultra-left, anti-reform voices
perceive that they can have more sway. In the labor movement, in the
environmental movement, in the women's rights movement, ultra-left voices
are a fly on an elephant. One can easily ignore them, it's obvious that
they have little hope of significant impact. But in the anti-war movement,
there is no elephant. In this context, a culture has developed of more
indulgence of ultra-left voices, even though they have no more prospect of
accomplishing anything concrete in this arena than they do in any other
arena. These ultra-left voices have a tendency to try to gain a hearing for
themselves by attacking reform efforts, rather than by organizing their own
efforts.

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy