[Peace-discuss] New med school critique

Brussel, Morton K via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Nov 20 22:38:42 EST 2014

A useful, well written article, but it does not negate the possibility that the idea of having the proposed medical facility in C_U is a good idea for medicine, UIUC, and for society ultimately. That the affiliation is with Carle, the only feasible partner here, is not in itself a negative. Medical schools all over the nation have affiliated and expanded with private hospitals. I think the idea has merit, even if I have come to despise Wise for her behavior with regard to Salaita and for her denying the obvious in that case. She is a liar. Now, we are told, usefully, of her corporate connections and possible conflicts of interest. . But as for the idea, it may be a plus for the community. That UIC doesn’t like it, nor Provenance of Christie is expected in this competitive arena.

Finally, of course we desperately need a radically revised medical/health system in the U.S., but UIUC cannot make this happen alone, so to criticize it on that basis seems futile and irrelevant.

—mkb