[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Steven Salaita and Ali Abunimah at University of Chicago - Labor Beat on YouTube

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Mon Oct 13 08:11:21 EDT 2014

Does anybody have Steven Salaita's e-mail or other contact info ?

Larry Duncan of " LABOR BEAT " in Chicago would like to contact him in
regards to this film.

David Johnson

/*Please forward and use link on your web sites*/

*Steven Salaita and Ali Abunimah*
*at University of Chicago*
*
*
*On YouTube at:*
*http://youtu.be/A8GK19gpaOU*
**

*Also archived at:*
laborbeat.org <http://laborbeat.org/>

During a Chicago-area universities tour, Professor Steven Salaita spoke
at the University of Chicago on October 7, 2014. He was joined by
Electronic Intifada author Ali Abunimah. The topic of this meeting was
to discuss the facts and implications concerning why a job offer made to
Prof. Salaita in August at the University of Illinois/Urbana-Champaign
(UIUC) was withdrawn by the administration, following his public tweets
criticizing Israel over the bombing of Gaza and killing of over 500
children there.

Salaita is introduced by Brian Leiter, professor of Jurisprudence at the
University of Chicago. Professor Leiter comments on the legal
circumstances. "That First Amendment right does not come with a caveat
to the effect that only civil or respectful expression is actually
protected...Yet the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees of the
University of Illinois have acted as though they have a right to punish
speakers who say "f**k" the draft or f**k America or f**k Israel. But
they have no such right."

Salaita and Abunimah focused on the key issues of what Salaita's firing
means in the critical battle on U.S. campuses over academic freedom, and
in American society in general over the first amendment and U.S. foreign
policy.

Salaita is amply quotable. Israel wants Palestinians to think of
themselves "that our barbarity is atavistic and imminent. It precedes
our subjectivity, restricts our earthly presence and marks us as
inferior. We can achieve the lofty status of pitiable only when we grovel."

Ali Abunimah reveals documents showing the interference of UIUC's
wealthy Zionist donors in the Salaita affair. Abunimah also speaks of
his valuable research on the Zionist rightwing roadmap for manipulating
political thought on American campuses: "Key pro-Israel lobby groups,
like the David Project, have said in their own internal strategy
documents that the future of the U.S.-Israel relationship will be
decided on campuses...and they actually identify as positive trends for
Israel the corporatization of higher education, the growth of private,
for-profit education...and business schools that are growing at the
expense of the humanities as a trend that is positive for Israel...They
also talk about the kinds of tactics that are to be used at a very
specific level... [The David Project says] in the long term efforts must
be made to limit the ability for faculty members to use their positions
to propagandize against the Jewish state...In the interim accusing
faculty members who propagandize against Israel of academic malpractice
is likely to be a much more effective strategy than challenging specific
allegations or invoking anti-Jewish bigotry."

The two-hour event has been carefully edited down to 28 minutes to fit
our time slot on cable-tv. Shot with two cameras with quality audio via
XLR output. Suitable for presentation to classrooms. Length - 28:10

Steve Salaita. He lost a tenured job at University of Illinois over his pro-
Palestinian tweets. Photo: Steve Dalber / Labor Beat

Ali Abunimah, Electronic Intifada, defending Salaita. Photo: Steve
Dalber / Labor Beat

Audience at University of Chicago's International House hears about the
Steven Salaita affair. Photo: Steve Dalber / Labor Beat

Produced by Labor Beat. Labor Beat is a CAN TV Community Partner, and
member of the Evanston Community Media Center. Labor Beat is a
non-profit 501(c)(3) member of IBEW 1220. Views are those of the
producer Labor Beat. For info: mail at laborbeat.org
<mailto:mail at laborbeat.org>, www.laborbeat.org
<http://www.laborbeat.org/>. 312-226-3330. For other Labor Beat videos,
visit YouTube and search "Labor Beat".
*
*
*Labor Beat's facebook page:*

http://www.facebook.com/pages/LABOR-BEAT/167503422257

*To order this dvd from Labor Beat (Committee for Labor Access):*

*BUY DVD - CLICK HERE*
<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=9872013>

(Put title of DVD, "Salaita and Abunimah at U of Chicago"
in/ Description/ box. Put $15 in/ Unit Price/ box. $20 for Canada, and
$25 for other countries outside the U.S. NTSC format only.)