[Peace-discuss] Fwd: FW: [usgp-media] Draft - GP RELEASE Green Party: It's time for a new peace movement to oppose endless war

Carl G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Fri Oct 17 10:07:36 EDT 2014

David--

As an ex-Green I'm glad to see the current Green Party call for a "new peace movement," but this statement is inadequate.

It is not the case that the Obama administration's "foreign policy [is] incoherent." It's rational, in Weber's sense of setting means to ends, and it's immensely dangerous.

Nor is it accurate to refer to "the endless conflict that President Bush unleashed eleven years ago." You will recall that the Carter administration invented jihadism - and the Reagan administration announced that its foreign policy would be "a war on terrorism."

As the late Fred Branfman pointed out, "Executive Branch leaders have killed, wounded and made homeless well over 20 million human beings in the last 50 years, mostly civilians" - and not because they were stupid.

The ends of US foreign policy, as well as the vicious means, have been consistent throughout our lifetimes.

We should have a chance to discuss these matters on today's News from Neptune.
'
Regards, CGE