[Peace-discuss] Mon Oct 20, noon: "How Immigrants became 'Americans': The case of the Poles", talk by Jim Barrett

Stuart Levy via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sat Oct 18 09:58:44 EDT 2014

Center for Advanced Study 2014-2015
Interdisciplinary Initiative Retrospective
Focusing on the /Initiative on Immigration -- History and Policy/

*Jim Barrett* (Department of History, University of Illinois) will give
a presentation in the CAS Interdisciplinary Initiative Retrospective
entitled:

*HOW IMMIGRANTS BECAME 'AMERICANS': THE CASE of the POLES,*

on *Monday, October 20. * The presentation starts at *noon* in the
first floor seminar room, Center for Advanced Study, 912 W. Illinois
St., Urbana.

     The question is one of the oldest in our complex relationship with
     immigration: How did immigrants, steeped in their old world
     cultures, gradually and unevenly transform their own identities and
     begin to think of themselves as "Americans"?. This paper considers
     the case of the particularly strong and durable Polish American
     culture from two vantage points that have perhaps not received
     enough consideration: religion, specifically the role of the
     Catholic Church, and youth culture----music, dance, and street
     gangs. Each played a distinctive role in the emergence of a distinct
     "Polish American" identity by the interwar years.

*Emily Pope-Obeda* (History) will give a related talk, *INSTITUTIONS of **
**IMMIGRANT REMOVAL: THE RISE of the AMERICAN DEPORTATION REGIME*,
Wednesday, November 12 at noon, also at the Center for Advanced Study.

These presentations are free and open to the public.  For more
information, contact the Center for Advanced Study at 333-6729 or
cas.illinois.edu

--------
*Center for Advanced Study Interdisciplinary Initiatives* offer campus
the opportunity to engage in a yearlong and in-depth conversation about
a topic relevant to our entire scholarly community.  For the
15th-anniversary year of this prestigious program, we have invited back
a few of our former CAS Resident Associates to reflect on the
initiatives they helped organize and how their work has evolved since.

The /*CAS Initiative on Immigration -- History and Policy*/ brought
together scholars in the social sciences, law, computer science,
engineering and humanities to explore new approaches to immigration and
its controversies. CAS Resident Associates Jim Barrett (History)
and Gale Summerfield (Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program)
led this initiative.

--
Center for Advanced Study
Phone: 217-333-6729