[Peace-discuss] [Peace] @ the Art: "Kill the Messenger" docdrama on natl security journalism martyr Gary Webb

ya'aQov via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Sat Oct 18 16:15:28 EDT 2014

Stuart,

Robert correctly sent this to peace-discuss.  Then Karen's reply was not
filtered, and was sent also to peace at lists. Is there anything you can do to
filter out peace-discuss from those who want also announcements of
peace at lists?
Thank you,

Ya'aqov

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Karen Aram via Peace <
peace at lists.chambana.net> wrote:
> Robert
>
> Excellent review of the film "Kill the Messenger", thank you. I do
challenge
> your last statement that "there is no alternative to US main stream
media",
> or rather our corporate owned media, there is however "Democracy Now", "
The
> Thom Hartmann Show", "Aware on the Air", " News from Neptune" all on UPTV
6,
> and RT News, though no criticism of Russia takes place, also does a good
job
> of covering international news on station Mhztv, along with Peter
Lavelle's
> [...]
> just referring to the tv programs which challenge mainstream media. There
> are many links, blogs, etc. out there, not to mention some of the radio
> programs.  The only newspaper I have come across is the Public I published
> here locally.
> "Democracy Now" did cover the film "Kill the Messenger," and the actual
> events of the time, a couple weeks ago.
>
> If we think the food might be poisoned maybe we shouldn't eat it at all.
>
> ________________________________
> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:27:19 -0500
> To: peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
> Subject: [Peace-discuss] @ the Art: "Kill the Messenger" docdrama on natl
> security journalism martyr Gary Webb
> From: peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
>

> By happy chance, I saw the movie "Kill the Messenger" at the Art last
night.
> I say happy chance because I had never heard of the movie until I saw it
> listed on the marquee. I happened to be downtown and thought, what's at
the
> Art?
>
> Folks who were active in the Central America solidarity movement will
> remember that Gary Webb, a journalist at the San Jose Mercury News, "broke
> the story" in mainstream media terms about how the CIA supported
> drug-runners during the Contra war and "looked the other way" (at least)
> while these drug-runners brought cocaine into the United States, fueling
the
> "crack cocaine epidemic" in urban America.
>
> But for an audience today, the story of the movie that is to me so
resonant
> and powerful is not that the CIA supported drug runners without a care to
> the consequences of that for urban Americans; that's old news. The story
of
> the movie that is resonant and powerful today is how mainstream American
> journalism betrayed Gary Webb. Instead of following up the story,
newspapers
> like the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and the New York Times
set
> out to destroy Gary Webb.
>
> This was a guy who was established in his career as an investigative
> journalist. If you look at his entry on Wikipedia, every year or so he got
> another award for investigative journalism for publicly exposing
wrongdoing
> by powerful bad guys, for things he wrote alone or with others.
>
> He didn't set out to expose wrongdoing by powerful bad guys in the U.S.
> government. He stumbled across it. But having done so, he wouldn't accept
> the idea that exposing wrongdoing by powerful bad guys in the U.S.
> government was off-limits. He thought that was part of his job, too. It
> reminded me of the young prosecutor in the Costa-Gavras movie "Z," who
> didn't get the memo that the generals in the Greek military junta were
> off-limits.
>
> For his service to the public, mainstream American journalism destroyed
Gary