[Peace-discuss] CUCPJ statement opposing militarization of police, the MRAP, etc. - would AWARE agree to sign this?

Karen Aram via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Tue Oct 21 20:46:04 EDT 2014

Stuart

I will certainly sign it. Perhaps we can have a copy and collect signatures at the market on Saturday?

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:58:36 -0500
To: peace-discuss at anti-war.net
Subject: [Peace-discuss] CUCPJ statement opposing militarization of police, the MRAP, etc. - would AWARE agree to sign this?
From: peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net

    CUCPJ has prepared a statement (attached and pasted below) in
    opposition to the ongoing militarization of police, urging specific
    actions - disassociating with the "1033" program that distributes
    military hardware to police, dismantling the massive MRAP tank
    acquired by the County, insisting on public discussion and
    policies-for-use before any equipment could be acquired, etc.

    Would AWARE like to sign on to this statement?   As Durl Kruse
    writes below, they're hoping to present it to city and county
    officials with as many organizations in support as possible.

    I think this would be a good thing for us to do.   And if possible,
    some of us should be there ourselves as the statement is presented
    in various venues.   We could try to speak to it, as well.

        Stuart

    ====================

        Champaign Citizens for Peace and Justice, CUCPJ, is
          concerned about the growing militarization of local police
          departments; in particular the participation of area local law
          enforcement agencies in the Federal Government's 1033 Program.
           They have recently acquired a Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected
          (MRAP) vehicle and dozens of military style assault rifles as
          reported in the news (see statement references).

        CUCPJ has prepared a statement, “Halt Police Militarization
          in CU”, (attached below) to address this concern, and is
          inviting local organizations to join this effort.  We are
          asking your organization to agree to have their name added to
          the statement.  Our goal is to have over a dozen organizations
          sign the statement within the next several weeks.

        Once we hear back from everyone, we intend to present the
          statement along with signatories to our local officials at the
          county board and city councils.

        If you have any questions or would like someone from CUCPJ
          to discuss this issue in person with your organization, just
          let us know.

        Thank you and hope to hear from you soon,

        On Behalf of CUCPJ,

        Durl Kruse

          (The text of the statement is here - see the attached Word
          file for a prettier version)

          Halt
Police
                Militarization in CU
          We are a coalition of concerned
            Champaign County residents working to demilitarize our local
            police.
            Since Ferguson, the public has become aware of the trend
            toward
            police militarization, especially how it impacts the African
            American
            community. The Federal Government’s 1033 Program, providing
            police
            with excess military equipment, has been exposed in the
            media.
            Through this program M-16 assault rifles have been given to
            our local
            police, and, most alarmingly, a Mine-Resistant
            Ambush-Protected
            (MRAP) vehicle has been acquired by the Champaign County
            Sheriff’s
            Office. We have several recommendations:

              We urge elected officials to
                instruct our law enforcement agencies to withdraw from
                the 1033 Program.

              We call on Sheriff Dan Walsh
                to decommission the MRAP.

              We are concerned about the
                lack of accountability in past acquisitions of military
                equipment and weapons.

              We ask that in the future,
                there be a process of public consultation before local
                law enforcement acquires this dangerous equipment.

              We ask that police develop
                clear policies for how these items will be used before
                being acquired.

              We insist that such weapons
                are not used against minors (especially in schools),
                peaceful protesters, and in serving routine warrants of
                arrest.

          For more read:

          “An
Asset
                  for Area Law Enforcement, Military Gear Has Its
                  Critics, Too.”
            News-Gazette (Sept. 21, 2014).

          “The
Banality
                  of Police Militarization: How Champaign-Urbana
                  Acquired Its
                  MRAP.” Truthout (Aug. 26,
            2014).