[Peace-discuss] AWARE @ Farmer's Market; police militarization; Salaita, Kilgore and Dolinar on World Labor Hour; indoor market dates?

Stuart Levy via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Fri Oct 24 02:22:23 EDT 2014

Hey all,

AWARE will be back at the Farmer's Market this weekend.

Re the militarization-of-police statement, I'm hearing that the CUCPJ
people who drafted it would prefer to gather a number of groups who
agree with it, and then hold some sort of meeting in the next few weeks
so that all the supportive groups can decide how to go forward.   Of
course that doesn't mean we shouldn't speak out against militarizing
police, but we can do it with our own materials for now - maybe the
flyer Carl drafted a few months ago?   Or, there have been some good
articles on Ferguson and the organization of popular resistance, too.

Given Dave Johnson's lineup for the 11AM World Labor Hour on WEFT-FM -
Steven Salaita during the first half hour, and James Kilgore and Brian
Dolinar on the second half, talking about police militarization - I'm
tempted to bring a radio and actually encourage people to come close and
listen to it!   (It wouldn't be cranked so loud that it would disturb
the neighboring booths.)

Question, especially for people who work at the Market: we can sign up
for the indoor market, 8am-1pm, as we have the last few years.
Dates: 11/8, 11/15, 11/22, 11/29,
            12/6, 12/13, 12/20
I'm game to be there for up to say four weeks.   Does this seem
worthwhile?   (If we were there for four weeks, it'd cost $140, but
human time is the bigger cost.)   Who would be willing to work some
times?   Do you have any preference on dates which are important for us
to be there (e.g. right after the election, right after Thanksgiving,
...)?   Thanksgiving is 11/27.

I'm sorry to have missed the last couple of AWARE meetings - we haven't
given up!   Last Sunday Karen and I went on a two-hour hike that turned
out to take four hours - a pretty afternoon but we couldn't get back to
town until after the meeting was done.