[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] Feisal G. Mohamed and Cary Nelson debate what’s at stake in the Salaita affair

Ian K via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Wed Sep 3 16:59:04 EDT 2014

Thanks for passing that along, David. I was particularly struck by the
following line:

"Again, it is, in the end, the chancellor's primary role to ensure an
environment in which each and every student feels able to show up, free to
discuss and ready to learn; unfortunately, we are not convinced" Salaita,
etc.

"It is all about the students," they wail. All this rhetoric seems like an
attempt to justify imposing de facto prior restraint (on faculty
speech/scholarly activism) to prevent POTENTIAL prior restraint (on student
speech/learning). This line of reasoning, of course, does not address
whether Salaita's comments were sufficient evidence that viewpoints would
be stymied in his classrooms . . . as if lectures were conducted via
tweets.

What do we see in the Salaita case at core? We see the willingness to
tolerate abridging speech freedom for those who say the politically
unpopular to protect speech in support the political status quo. This is
precisely what Mill feared: a tyrannical majority dictating what can be
said. It is all the worse to watch this play out via claims of "decorum."

IKD