[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Jewish statement

C. G. Estabrook via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Sep 4 17:08:38 EDT 2014

Israel doesn't have to pay for the Occupation because the OT receive subventions from the EU, Qatar, even the US.

As Israel prepared to attack Gaza this summer - largely because of the Hamas/PA deal - it cut off the monies from these sources (through the PA) used to pay the salaries of civil servants in Gaza. Ever since Israel overturned by force (using the PA as its instrument) the results of the (free) 2006 election, Israel's policy has been divide-et-impera anent the major PA factions (so "we have no partner for peace"), & between Gaza and the West Bank. The fear that that plan was breaking down - and that Israel would have to deal with a real peace process involving a unified Hamas/PA - led Netanyahu to "mow the grass" to prevent that.

On News from Neptune we've been discussing the (admittedly unlikely) possibility of a "diplomatic revolution," with the US reducing its support for the loose Sunni alliance, for lack of a better term (Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Qatar, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, and the Caliphate) and increasing it for the Shia alliance (Iran, Syria, Iraq, Hezbollah, and Hamas - with Russia and China in the background). Naturally that would be done in pursuit of US goals, principally the control of energy flows.

Unlikely as it sounds, they're worried about it in Tel Aviv - notably in Netanyahu's faction. (Lieberman and Bennett e.g. are more belligerent.)

From today's Ha'aretz: <http://www.haaretz.com/news/features/.premium-1.614029>.

--CGE