[Peace-discuss] Steven Salaita speaks

ya'aQov via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Thu Sep 11 12:00:01 EDT 2014

Salaita champions himself as someone representing the diversity within the
Moslem world; he uses the academic terminology (echoing
that of Native-American studies). He's quick to point out Islamophobic
characteristics, the world seeing one dimension where in fact there are
many.

I read his tweets and encourage all of you to do so. Note how he does NOT
represent in his tweets any diversity within Moslems, he does not represent
the protest withing the Moslem world.
Nothing is said there about the reign of Hamas, or PA, nothing said about
any calls for democracy crashed after 2011, Arab Spring turned into
atrocities of
Moslems slaughtering each other and non--Moslems. Nothing about Gazans
beheaded because of voicing criticism of ruling Hamas. Nothing about how
Muslim world propagates itself, rather than
looking for a way out of exploitation and misery for millions of its people.

I am ashamed by UIUC's conduct with Salaita on the level of academic speech
and freedom. I am ashamed of peace-discuss friends falling for propaganda,
refusing to dig into
ways to move out and forward from well oiled systems maintaining misery.