[Peace-discuss] Revised letter

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 08:45:21 EDT 2015

Thanks Carl. Here is a revised version.
As we observe 50-year anniversaries pertaining to the Vietnam War,it’s important that an accurate account of that era be differentiated frompatriotic sentimentality regarding veterans. This effort towards truth andperhaps reconciliation should apply to any war in our history, but especiallyto those since World War II, all of which relate to efforts to obtain globalhegemony for a class of individuals now referred to as the “one percent.”Victims of these wars can be counted in millions, a very small percentage ofthem Americans.The Vietnam War was illegal, immoral, genocidal, and based on liesfrom the start. By 1968, a majority of Americans viewed it as not justimpractical, but immoral. A majority of the generation of young men of thatera, including me, refused to fight. They (we) expressed that refusal byavoiding the draft, conscientious objection, avoiding combat, refusing ordersto engage in combat, and even killing their commanding officers. Wikipedia reports that 230 American officers were killed by theirown troops, and 1,400 deaths of officers could not be explained. However onejudges these acts, it’s important to stress that they were related to a generalrevolt of soldiers against the war.Criminal political leaders were responsiblefor this war, and by 1968 the American people were trying to stop them.Unfortunately, this pattern has been repeated in the last 15 years, but withless success by resistors. To invoke the famous words of Pete Seeger: “Whenwill we ever learn?”