[Peace-discuss] AWARE meeting this afternoon, demo next week, and other upcoming events

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 16:14:47 EDT 2015

AWARE meets as usual at Pizza M / Cafeteria & Company in Urbana at 5
this (Sunday) afternoon.
/(But Karen M/E/L and I //won't be there//this time.)/

Upcoming events include ...

AWARE on the Air recording on *Tuesday at noon, Urbana City Council
chambers,*
our *monthly demonstration next **Saturday, May 2nd,**2-4pm,*
and our first outdoor *Farmer's Market* date of the year on *May 9th,
8am-noon.*

and...

*Sunday (tonight), 7pm at the IMC in Urbana -*
Come hear singer Charlie King @ 7pm this (Sunday) evening at the IMC
($10) if you can - see Karen's note of a few days ago.   He's been
writing songs on peace and social justice for a long long time, and he's
good.  -SL

*Monday, April 27th, 4pm-6pm at Champaign Public Library, Robeson room C -*
Town Hall meeting on the Illinois State Budget, with Ralph Martire and
Carol Ammons.
Stop by for a legislative update and to share your views and concerns on
state budget priorities.

    "Ralph Martire is very intelligent, makes difficult subjects
    interesting & easy to understand, and has a much better, more
    equitable, and far more feasible plan than Rauner has!"

  * Ralph Martire of Center for Tax & Budget Accountability
  * State Rep. Carol Ammons
  * Campus Faculty Association
  * Graduate Employees Organization
  * Jobs with Justice

More at: https://www.facebook.com/events/980470861965145/

*Tuesday, April 28th, 5pm, Urbana High School lecture hall
*Film showing: the documentary "Which Way Home"*
*Fundraiser - all proceeds to benefit undocumented, unaccompanied minors
who have arrived alone in C-U and are living here/
/More at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1825321107692425//

/*Thursday, April 30th, 6:15pm, Urbana Civic Center (108 Water St,
downtown Urbana)*

Build Programs, Not Jails, is joining with the Champaign County ACLU,
the NAACP, First Followers Reentry Program and the Peace and Service
Committee of the Friends to co-sponsor this important public policy forum.

Keynote address by Carol Ammons, Newly Elected State Representative.

Champaign County is now considering a $32 million jail construction
proposal while at the same time applying for grants to fund strategies
to reduce the jail populations. Meanwhile the governor is promising to
reduce the prison population in Illinois. We stand at a crossroads:
build more jail cells or develop programs that reduce incarceration?

More at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1580783628860459/