[Peace-discuss] AWARE reading group: "Kill Chain"

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Wed Dec 2 11:38:57 EST 2015

The AWARE group reading Andrew Cockburn, KILL CHAIN: THE RISE OF THE HIGH-TECH ASSASSINS, will meet this Thursday, 3 December, at 6pm at 5 Litchfield Lane, Champaign.

Members & friends of AWARE are invited to the discussion of this important book about Obama’s world-wide assassination program, which Noam Chomsky calls, “the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern times.” (It’s not required to read the book in order to participate in the discussion.)

Andrew Cockburn is Washington editor of Harper’s; he’s married to writer and filmmaker Leslie Cockburn (their daughter is the actor Olivia Wilde); his brothers are Patrick Cockburn, the leading English language reporter on the Mideast, and our late, lamented friend Alex Cockburn, founder of CounterPunch.

(His father was Claud Cockburn [1904-81], the British I. F. Stone, who is excoriated by George Orwell in HOMAGE TO CATALONIA [1938]: "Orwell accused Cockburn of being under the control of the Communist Party and was critical of the way Cockburn reported the Barcelona May Days” [wiki]. Claud Cockburn’s THE DEVIL’S DECADE [1973] is rivaled only by Nicholson Baker’s HUMAN SMOKE: THE BEGINNINGS OF WORLD WAR II, THE END OF CIVILIZATION [2008] as an account of the politics leading to WWII.)

Excerpts, interviews, reviews, and other material related to KILL CHAIN are at

http://us.macmillan.com/killchain/andrewcockburn

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1857-kill-chain

http://www.counterpunch.org/author/andrew-cockburn/

—CGE

P.S. - This week’s meeting may include a special guest appearance by my great-granddaughter (no joke), who will inherit the world the Obama administration has made...

###