[Peace-discuss] Israel: 'Breaking the Silence' under Siege - Haaretz

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 13:29:34 EST 2015

(thanks to United for Peace and Justice)

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Bill Koehnlein <bill at toplab.org
<mailto:bill at toplab.org>> wrote:

    Israel: Breaking the Silence under Siege

    Haaretz
    December 18, 2015
    http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.692518
    <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.haaretz.com_israel-2Dnews_.premium-2D1.692518&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=_iuwmBDMEAIAz6k1h--JVoji6x5mlDiImSbbdIp2zWg&m=u24dL0zbgABF5hrKhhIlLorh8a-WTPYv0_Yu9-Qc-cM&s=YON2327MAaEk1tLRfGjtwtet2c0Dr9l8f3KIQmN_bUY&e=>

    [See also the accompanying articles: "Hooray for the Snitches of
    Breaking the Silence
    <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.haaretz.com_opinion_.premium-2D1.692275&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=_iuwmBDMEAIAz6k1h--JVoji6x5mlDiImSbbdIp2zWg&m=u24dL0zbgABF5hrKhhIlLorh8a-WTPYv0_Yu9-Qc-cM&s=7KomWygRY6JmMVkrTvxykPN4ARir3t6iF6WZLPcka_M&e=>"
    at http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.692275
    <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.haaretz.com_opinion_.premium-2D1.692275&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=_iuwmBDMEAIAz6k1h--JVoji6x5mlDiImSbbdIp2zWg&m=u24dL0zbgABF5hrKhhIlLorh8a-WTPYv0_Yu9-Qc-cM&s=7KomWygRY6JmMVkrTvxykPN4ARir3t6iF6WZLPcka_M&e=>;
    "Israel's Anti-Occupation Soldiers Are Putting Their Necks on the
    Line
    <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.haaretz.com_opinion_.premium-2D1.692012&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=_iuwmBDMEAIAz6k1h--JVoji6x5mlDiImSbbdIp2zWg&m=u24dL0zbgABF5hrKhhIlLorh8a-WTPYv0_Yu9-Qc-cM&s=cjX-LRdW3u2DSGoGF4m39z5xFGPgMwdDNwmRcqPiqtU&e=>"
    at http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.692012
    <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.haaretz.com_opinion_.premium-2D1.692012&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=_iuwmBDMEAIAz6k1h--JVoji6x5mlDiImSbbdIp2zWg&m=u24dL0zbgABF5hrKhhIlLorh8a-WTPYv0_Yu9-Qc-cM&s=cjX-LRdW3u2DSGoGF4m39z5xFGPgMwdDNwmRcqPiqtU&e=>;
    and "Im Tirtzu and the Proto-Fascist Plot to Destroy Israeli
    Democracy
    <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.haaretz.com_opinion_.premium-2D1.692273&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=_iuwmBDMEAIAz6k1h--JVoji6x5mlDiImSbbdIp2zWg&m=u24dL0zbgABF5hrKhhIlLorh8a-WTPYv0_Yu9-Qc-cM&s=WfYfhXXPgiRnPsD3Tw-x0EVJQo6Mzbz152fqUXkxZ00&e=>"
    at http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.692273
    <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.haaretz.com_opinion_.premium-2D1.692273&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=_iuwmBDMEAIAz6k1h--JVoji6x5mlDiImSbbdIp2zWg&m=u24dL0zbgABF5hrKhhIlLorh8a-WTPYv0_Yu9-Qc-cM&s=WfYfhXXPgiRnPsD3Tw-x0EVJQo6Mzbz152fqUXkxZ00&e=>.]

    Breaking the Silence: Why Take the Message Abroad?

    The left-wing NGO made up of former soldiers found itself at the
    center of a public storm and under ferocious attack from across the
    Israeli political spectrum.

    by Ilan Lior

    *
    Palestinians watching Israeli soldiers go by near Hebron. /Credit: AFP

    /*"Why abroad?" was the most persistent question members of Breaking
    the Silence were asked this week in interviews, on social media, and
    in personal messages. The small NGO, more used to being sidelined,
    found itself at the center of a public storm and under ferocious attack.

    It was accused of slandering Israel around the world and of damaging
    its international image. The radical right-wing Im Tirtzu movement
    issued a video accusing the activists of being "moles" – agents
    for foreign states. That led to a spate of curses and threats on the
    lives of the NGO's activists, all former Israel Defense Forces
    combatants.

    Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blasted Breaking the Silence in
    the Knesset for "spreading libel about IDF soldiers in the world."
    Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon instructed the IDF not to cooperate
    with the NGO, whose motives he said were "malicious." and "blackens
    our soldiers' faces abroad." Education Minister Naftali Bennett
    forbade the group to enter schools. Even Yesh Atid leader Yair Lapid
    attacked the NGO from the opposition and said it "harms and sullies
    the IDF abroad, spreading lies about our combatants."

    Breaking the Silence was set up 11 years ago by combatants who
    served in Hebron. They recounted their personal experiences from
    their service in the West Bank and started to gather testimonies
    from others about the violation of human rights under the
    occupation. Today, the organization has collected testimonies from
    more than 1,000 soldiers and has published them in the media, on the
    Internet, in booklets and at events and exhibitions.

    Today it employs 15 people, who all gave their own testimonies, as
    well as dozens of volunteers. The organization's staff guide Hebrew
    and English tours in Hebron, take part in conferences, meet youth
    and students and hold demonstrations.

    Over the past year, NGO have members met senior White House
    officials for the first time. They also took part in events in the
    United States, Spain, The Netherlands and Scotland and held photo
    exhibitions in Switzerland. Amidst the storm raised by the group's
    activity, the NGO's founder, Yehuda Shaul gave a lecture in Denmark. */
    /*
    A visitor takes a picture at the 'Breaking the Silence' exhibition
    at the Kulturhaus Helferei in Zurich June 8, 2015.*
    A visitor takes a picture at the 'Breaking the Silence' exhibition
    at the
    Kulturhaus Helferei in Zurich June 8, 2015. /Credit: Reuters

    /*"The absolute majority – at least 85 percent – of the
    organization's activity takes place in Israel, in Hebrew, or with
    Jews," says director Yuli Novak in an interview with Haaretz. "We do
    a lot of work with Diaspora Jews, mainly in Israel, with youngsters
    who come in various groups and meet with us."

    As for the activity overseas, "the occupation isn't an internal
    Israeli matter," says Novak, who served as an Air Force officer.
    "The Israeli occupation that we see as immensely damaging to Israel,
    is maintained and supported abroad. Millions of dollars, mostly tax
    money, are invested in telling the world 'if you're for Israel
    you're for the occupation.'"

    "We bring to this debate an Israeli, patriotic voice that says 'we
    love Israel, but the occupation harms it.' It's critical that the
    world knows there are Israeli soldiers who think the state's future
    depends on ending the occupation."

    Achiya Schatz, a former combatant in the Duvdevan special operations
    unit, says, "People are silenced and gagged in Israel. Anyone who
    opposes the occupation is seen as a traitor."

    "When the settlers' Yesha Council speaks abroad how come nobody
    criticizes it? It's sheer hypocrisy. The attempt to divert the
    debate to [our activity] abroad is government spin," he says.

    The NGO's critics say it strengthens the BDS movement. "We don't
    support BDS, we never supported them or cooperated with them,"
    Schatz says.

    "Obviously Breaking the Silence statements raise objection. When you
    see the unpleasant sight in the mirror we put up, your first
    instinct is to look aside," she says.

    But "Israel's problem is the occupation. What makes Israel look bad
    is that for 48 years we've been ruling another nation and not
    showing any sign that we mean to change it – not soldiers telling
    what the occupation looks like," she says.

    Novak says former combatants who have undergone special training in
    gathering information take the testimonies. Only those that are
    checked, cross-checked with others and verified are published. "No
    Breaking the Silence testimony has ever been refuted," says Shatz.

    Novak refutes the claim that a Palestinian fund gave the NGO more
    than a million shekels to produce negative testimonies against the
    IDF. The fund, he says, works from Ramallah, but belongs to European
    states. "My work is not determined by the donors' wishes," he says.
    "The organization's activity is entirely open and transparent."

    The last few days have been especially difficult for the NGO's
    people. Their email and Facebook accounts and mobile phones were
    filled with death threats and curses.

    "Some people fear for their life all the time. We all have families
    and they're worried. It's difficult, but the price of silence is too
    high," says Shatz.

    On the upside, the number of supporters and people wanting to give
    testimony is also rising.

    "We're in the company of the state's president, Supreme court judges
    and other figures the right is trying to silence. So the attack
    isn't only us, it's dangerous to Israel. We'd expect our government
    and Knesset to stand by our side – not because they agre with us,
    but because democracy is crumbling," she says.
    */
    /*
    /[Ilan Lior is a /Haaretz/correspondent.]/*/
    /*

    --
    "Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money."

    To Unsubscribe
             Send email to: Bk-list-unsubscribe at lists.mayfirst.org
             Or visit: %(user_optionsurl)s

    You are subscribed as: %(user_address)s