[Peace-discuss] 3rd Jew to skip Bibi's speech

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Feb 12 18:50:24 EST 2015

Joining Sanders and Schatz. At least 12 CBC Members have said they won't go.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/politics-blog/2015/02/12/citing-politics-louisville-rep-john-yarmuth-to-skip-israeli-leaders-speech-to-congress/23296269/

[...]

"Among the many reasons I will not attend are the following:

"We know what he is going to say. Netanyahu's position on the ongoing
negotiations on Iran's nuclear program is not a secret. Like many other
members, I have been visited by the Israeli ambassador and understand what
they want and how that differs from what U.S. negotiators are attempting to
accomplish.

"The prime minister has plenty of other places to express his opinions. In
fact he has done so many times.

"Netanyahu will specifically be arguing against the foreign policy of the
administration. Speaker Boehner invited the prime minister to address
Congress specifically to refute President Obama's position. I will not
contribute to the impression that this body does not support the president
of the United States in foreign affairs.

"The speech is scheduled less than two weeks before Israeli elections and
there is a demonstrable risk that Netanyahu will use the perception of
congressional support in his campaign. He did it before. A television ad
for his 2013 campaign begins with a shot of the U.S. Capitol, and has
footage of rousing applause from members. (House ethics rules prohibit
members of Congress from using such footage in political ads.)

"It will become a matter of score-keeping as to who stands up and applauds
and who doesn't. Having visited Israel only months after Netanyahu
addressed Congress in 2011, I know how much political impact these scenes
have in that country. There is pressure to join the applause even if a
member does not agree with statements made.

"Congress has a broader responsibility than the security interests of
Israel. While it certainly is important that we understand the Israeli
perspective, the American people will hear only Netanyahu's perspective,
creating a public perception that could undermine a broadly supported
resolution to the Iranian nuclear situation.

"The prime minister's appearance will be construed by many to infer
congressional support for his position as opposed to US policy.

"I do not want my respectful attendance to in any way imply support for his
position.

"Finally, the speech comes at a delicate period in the negotiations with
Iran, coming only three weeks before the deadline established for an
agreement on a framework for a program to ensure that Iran does not have
the capability to build a nuclear weapon.
[...]

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy