[Peace-discuss] on how the book Persepolis came to be banned in Chicago public schools

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 13:49:29 EST 2015

A bit off our usual topic, but at AWARE's table today we talked a little
about this article, on the banning from Chicago Public Schools of
/Persepolis/, a young woman's autobiographical story of growing up in
Iran, and how school officials covered up their actions when challenged:

http://cbldf.org/2015/02/grad-student-uncovers-truth-about-persepolis-ban-in-chicago-public-schools/

The article begins:

    A graduate student’s research
    <http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/e-mails-show-cps-officials-pull-persepolis-classrooms/Content?oid=16355626>
    is throwing new light on Chicago Public Schools officials’ 2013
    effort to remove Marjane Satrapi’s /Persepolis/
    <http://cbldf.org/2013/03/breaking-persepolis-reportedly-banned-in-chicago-high-school/>
    from libraries and classrooms throughout the district. Emails
    <http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/e-mails-show-cps-officials-pull-persepolis-classrooms/Content?oid=16355626>
    released in response to a Freedom of Information Act request and
    first reported
    <http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/e-mails-show-cps-officials-pull-persepolis-classrooms/Content?oid=16355626>
    in the /Chicago Reader/ last week confirm what seemed incredible to
    observers at the time: that top administrators of the third largest
    school district in the United States really did think they could
    remove a modern classic from schools without regard for their own
    policies, their teachers’ and librarians’ professional expertise, or
    even basic First Amendment principles.