[Peace-discuss] links: Poitras' Citizenfour wins Oscar for best documentary

Bay, Michael bay2 at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 23 20:08:13 EST 2015

I do not the remember either the film or Snowden himself respresent Snowden as a high level NSA official. He worked as an infrastructure analyst and as Karen stated, had superior access to the NSA database.

I doubt that Snowden's publications have resulted in damage to the United States security. Conversely, the NSA has damaged the freedom of a number of citizens both from the US and foreign countries. The fact, that PRISM with secret court approval allows to collect metadata of any American citizen and that the same information can be acquired of any foreigner even without court approval is an outrageous abuse of power and a violation of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution.

The widely claimed justification of "self defense against terrorism" is refutable. There does not exist evidence for any single terror attack that has been prevented as a result of the widespread spying. On the contrary, the NSA has used its superior knowledge to spy on non-terrorist peaceful organizations. There exists evidence<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_center#Criticism> that the NSA also spies on anti-war and peace activists as well as anarchists.

The extent of espionage has become so overwhelming that the US government forces providers of encrypted e-mail services to shut down if they do not agree to share their data. In August 2013, Lavabit and Silent Circle closed as a result of US governmental pressure. The owner of Lavabit service declared that he had preferred to terminate his 10-year-old business, rather than to violate the rights of his 400,000 users. He recommended against trusting private data to any company with physical ties to the US. Silent circle founder Phil Zimmermann expressed “If privacy becomes unlawful, then only outlaws maintain privacy.”

Regardless of whether Snowden tells the truth or not, what he published needed to be published and helped in disclosing severe espionage by the NSA on the Americans and foreigners, terrorists and peace activists. The question is, how much security do we need to protect our freedom and at which point is freedom sacrificed to achieve an unnecessary degree of security?