[Peace-discuss] Fwd: FW: Climbing PoeTree at Allen Hall

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 17:55:09 EST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Storm, Rachel Lauren <rstorm2 at illinois.edu>
Date: Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:52 PM
Subject: FW: Climbing PoeTree at Allen Hall
To: "rachelstrm at gmail.com" <rachelstrm at gmail.com>

*From:* Haber, Laura Gwen
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:52 PM
*To:* Storm, Rachel Lauren
*Subject:* Climbing PoeTree at Allen Hall

Climbing PoeTree
Unit One/Allen Hall Guests-in-Residence
2/22-2/26

Poets, performance artists, print makers, video and graphic designers,
muralists, and new media architects
 "Climbing PoeTree is a soulful expression. Alixa Garcia and Naima Penniman
are deep thinkers and gifted poets. I am moved profoundly by the power of
their words!" ~ Cornel West, philosopher, academic, activist, author "Each
time I have the pleasure of attending a performance by Climbing PoeTree, I
feel enriched, renewed, and inspired. Alixa and Naima insist that poetry
can change the world -- and it is true that the urgency, power and beauty of
their words impel us to keep striving for the radical futures toward which
they gesture." ~Angela Y. Davis, Distinguished Professor Emerita
History of Consciousness and Feminist Studies
University of California, Santa Cruz

*Climbing PoeTree* is the combined force of two boundary-breaking
soul-sisters who have sharpened their art as a tool for popular education,
community organizing, and personal transformation. Poets, performance
artists, print makers, video and graphic designers, muralists, and new
media architects, Alixa Garcia and Naima Penniman create compelling works
at the service of their vision for a more just and livable world. Over the
last 10 years, Climbing PoeTree has performed for thousands of people
across the U.S. and abroad including Mexico, the United Kingdom, South
Africa and Cuba. Innovative educators, Garcia and Penniman have led
hundreds of workshops in institutions ranging from Columbia University to
Rikers Island Prison.

*All events take place at Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory Drive, Urbana. Free
parking is available in the parking garage across the street.*

*Sunday, 2/22*
* 7pm* - *Pages For The People: Bookmaking Workshop* *(South Rec)*
In this hands-on workshop, participants will create their own one-of-a-kind
hardcover journals from new and salvaged materials. Alixa and Naima will
show examples of hand-bound books they have created, and share from their
experiences as arts educators creating curricula for children of
incarcerated parents using book making as a tool towards healing.

*Monday, 2/23*
* 7pm - Art is a Hammer: Reshaping Reality through Cultural Activism
(performance and presentation) **(South Rec)*
Climbing PoeTree interweaves spoken word, hip hop, pan flute beat boxing,
and award-winning multimedia theater to expose injustice, heal from
violence, and make a better future visible, immediate, and irresistible.
This night combines performance, story-telling, slide-shows, and video to
illuminate the powerful symbiosis between art and activism. Alixa and Naima
share tactics and strategies from their life's work as cultural workers,
illuminating how poetry, eco touring, media-making, solution-sharing,
creative interventions, curriculum development and collaborative public art
can be used to strengthen our movements for social justice.

*9pm - tea time - informal hang out time in guest apartment *

*Tuesday, 2/24*
* 7pm - **Planting PoeTree: Writing Workshop **(South Rec)*
This 2 part writing workshop seeds poems rooted in our experiences while
writing towards the future we desire. Climbing PoeTree will take
participants on a multi-sensory journey to stimulate memory and activate
imagery. You will also exercise the power of your imagination to envision
the change you want to call forth in the world. Come out with 2 unique
pieces of writing, and contribute to a group poem generated from our
collective wisdom and collaborative power.

*9pm - tea time - informal hang out time in guest apartment *

*Wednesday, 2/25*
* 7pm -* *PIC 101: Breaking Down The Prison Industrial Complex **(South
Rec)*
The U.S. boasts the largest prison population in the world with 2.2 million
people behinds bars, and the prison industry is the fastest growing sector
of our nation's economy. Why does our society rely on mass incarceration as
a solution to social problems? What would a justice system look like that
centralizes healing instead of exacerbating harm? This workshop demystifies
the Prison Industrial Complex through embodied social justice games and the
Prison Poster Project, a visual cross-section of a prison made up of 47
illustrations created by incarcerated artists depicting life inside.

*9pm - tea time - informal hang out time in guest apartment*

*Thursday, 2/26*
* 7pm - **Finding our Voice: Stencil-making and Storytelling Workshop **(South
Rec)*
This interactive workshop is all about making a statement! Hashtags,
headlines, haikus, slogans, quotes: how can we say so much with so little?
We will explore the power of words using S.T.I.T.C.H.E.D., a colorful
tapestry of over 10,000 Stories, Testimonies, Intentions, Truths,
Confessions, Healing, Expressions, and Dreams hand-written from people
across the nation. Participants will interact with and contribute to this
ever-growing truth-telling project, and make one of-a-kind stencils
broadcasting their own powerful statements. We will create a collective
piece of "word art" with our stencils, and you will have the opportunity to
tag something of your own! Bring a bag, jacket, t-shirt, or other item you
want to transform.

Laura Haber

*Program and Academic Director of Unit One*

*UNIVERSITY HOUSING* | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Mail: 70 Allen Hall, MC-050 | Office: 68 Allen Hall

1005 W. Gregory Drive | Urbana, IL 61801

Phone: (217) 333-8351 | Direct Line: (217) 244-2317 | Fax: (217) 265-0222

lhaber at illinois.edu|www.housing.illinois.edu/unitone

*NOTE: Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written
communication to or from University employees regarding University business
is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.*

**Please consider the environment before printing this email.*