[Peace-discuss] MoveOn: Mayor 1% on the ropes

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Feb 25 19:12:10 EST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matt Blizek, MoveOn.org Political Action <moveon-help at list.moveon.org>
Date: Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 5:55 PM
Subject: Mayor 1% on the ropes
To: Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>

  Last night a political earthquake struck in Chicago.
Dear Illinois MoveOn member,

Last night a political earthquake struck in Chicago.

Wall Street wunderkind Rahm Emanuel (aka "Mayor 1%") was never supposed to
be beatable. He was an incumbent mayor in a city where incumbents rarely
lose—and he had a 12-1 fundraising advantage.

* But thanks to the hard work of thousands of progressives, he was forced
into the first runoff mayoral election in Chicago history last night.*

All along, MoveOn members have been supporting Rahm's top opponent—Chuy
García—who's running a populist, people-powered campaign, with a message of
taking on the wealthy special interests and fighting for working people.

*Can you chip in $3 today to support Jesús "Chuy" García and the thousands
of Chicago MoveOn members backing his campaign? *

*Yes, I'll chip in.
<https://pol.moveon.org/contrib/chicago.html?bg_id=hpc3&id=109001-7279186-PqQfZ1x&t=1>*

Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who has spent his first term pushing policies that
support his wealthy donors, has a long history of fighting progressive
policies in Congress and in the White House. We need to make candidates who
support Wall Street policies toxic in the Democratic party—at the local,
state, and national level.

*By showing that Chuy **García**'s campaign strong support from
progressives, we'll show candidates throughout the country that if you side
with Wall Street over Main Street, the voters will hold you accountable.** Will
you help out?*

*Yes, I'll chip in.
<https://pol.moveon.org/contrib/chicago.html?bg_id=hpc3&id=109001-7279186-PqQfZ1x&t=2>*

Since Chicago MoveOn members voted to endorse García last month, we've made
a big impact on the race. We immediately hired an experienced, full-time
organizer to mobilize the 75,000 MoveOn members in Chicago. Over the past
few weeks, hundreds of Chicago MoveOn members have volunteered, knocking on
doors, making calls, and turning out the vote for García.

Thanks to our hard work so far, Rahm Emanuel is on the ropes. And Chicago
is poised to become the latest major city to elect a populist progressive
champion over a Wall Street-wing Democrat. We've seen it in New York
City—which sparked the Occupy Wall Street movement and then went on to
elect progressive champ Bill DeBlasio. And we're seeing it across the
country in the outpouring of support for Elizabeth Warren and her policies.

Chuy García is in striking distance even though his Wall Street-backed
opponent has raised TWELVE TIMES the money. Think about that; it's truly
remarkable.

We don't need to match the millions Wall Street interests have donated to
Rahm's campaign to win this campaign outright—not even close. But we can't
do it for free.

*Can you chip in $3 today to support Jesús "Chuy" García and the thousands
of Chicago MoveOn members backing his campaign? *

*Yes, I'll chip in.
<https://pol.moveon.org/contrib/chicago.html?bg_id=hpc3&id=109001-7279186-PqQfZ1x&t=3>*

Neither Chuy García nor MoveOn.org rely on big money donors to fund our
work. But if enough of us chip in, we can show candidates across the
country that standing up for regular people against wealthy corporate
interests is a winning strategy.

Thanks for all you do.

–Matt, Ilya, Justin K., Maria, and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Rahm Emanuel heads to runoff in Chicago," The Hill, February 24, 2015
http://www.moveon.org/r/?r=303166&id=109001-7279186-PqQfZ1x&t=4

 *Want to support our work?* We're entirely funded by our 8 million
members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny
staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Start a monthly
donation here
<https://pol.moveon.org/contrib/pacmonthly_footer.html?id=109001-7279186-PqQfZ1x&t=121>
or chip in a one-time donation here
<https://pol.moveon.org/contrib/pac_footer.html?id=109001-7279186-PqQfZ1x&t=120>.