[Peace-discuss] "Halt Police Militarization in CU" Planning Meeting, Sat 1/31, 2pm - can anyone attend for AWARE?

Stuart Levy via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Tue Jan 20 11:44:39 EST 2015

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Planning Meeting
Date: 	Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:23:01 -0600
From: 	Durl Kruse <jandurl at comcast.net>
To: 	stuartnlevy at gmail.com

police, which CUCPJ initiated.   They are having an organizing meeting
in a couple of weeks:

    2-4pm Sat Jan 31st at the IMC

and are inviting AWARE to send a member, to bring ideas, and consider
what should be said to the County Board in February (on Feb 19th).

Would anyone like to go / be willing to go on Jan 31st and report back?

Details below.

CU Citizens for Peace and Justice is organizing two “Halt Police
Militarization in CU” events.  As a coalition member, we would like to
invite your organization to join us in planning these important events.

The first is a *“Planning and Organizational Meeting” from 2:00 - 4:00
pm on Saturday, January 31 at the Independent Media Center.* (Downtown
Post Office - 202 S. Broadway, U.).

The purpose of this meeting is to bring together all members of the
coalition for the first time to put our heads together to work on
strategies and actions to combat police militarization.  We would like
coalition members to consider the presentation of the statement to the
County Board and a draft county ordinance governing the acquisition of
surplus military equipment.

If coalition members have other related items to add to the discussion,
just email us.  Your input and participation is valued.

Finally, it would be helpful in planning this event if by January 23 you
could RSVP via email the name and contact information of the person from
your organization who is willing to attend.  Then, if necessary, we can
communicate with him/her directly before the meeting.

The second event is *“Presentation to the County Board” at 6:30 pm on
Thursday, February 19 at the Brookens Center. *(1776 E. Washington, U.)

At this regularly scheduled County Board meeting, the coalition will
present its statement and ordinance language governing the 1033 program
to the county board. Coalition members are encouraged to attend and/or
make public comments in support.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your continued
support.

CUCPJ Demilitarization of Local Police Planning Committee,

Brian Dolinar, Durl Kruse, Patsy Howell, James Kilgore, Barbara Kessel,

PS:

Currently the coalition is composed of the following twenty local
organizations: Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort, North End Men’s Breakfast
Club, Central Illinois Chapter of Progressive Democrats, Central
Illinois Jobs with Justice,  Champaign Chapter of NAACP,  Champaign
County ACLU, Champaign County Young Democrats, Champaign-Urbana Citizens
for Peace and Justice,  Champaign-Urbana Immigration Forum, Channing
Murray Foundation,  GEO Solidarity Committee,  First Mennonite Church of
Champaign/Urbana, Ministerial Alliance of Champaign-Urbana and
Vicinity,Missions, Mercy and Justice Team at New Covenant
Fellowship,School for Designing a Society,  Social Action Committee of
the Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign,Students for
Justice in Palestine,  UIUC Chapter of Amnesty International,
  University YMCA, Urbana-Champaign Friends Meeting