[Peace-discuss] Tsipras Sworn in as Greek Prime Minister

David Johnson via Peace-discuss peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Mon Jan 26 12:04:03 EST 2015

Tsipras Sworn in as Greek Prime Minister

Monday.

Alexis Tsipras will begin his new role as Greek prime minister Monday. |
Photo: Reuters

Published 26 January 2015 (2 hours 47 minutes ago)

0

<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Tsipras-Sworn-in-as-Greek-Prime-Minis
ter-20150126-0012.html#comsup> +

The former opposition party won 149 seats, just two seats short of a
parliamentary majority.

Alexis Tsipras, leader of the Syriza party, has been sworn in as Greek Prime
Minister after the left-wing party secured a historic
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Updates-Syriza-Wins-Historic-Greek-Vi
ctory-20150125-0010.html> victory in the general election Sunday.

The former opposition party won 149 seats, just two seats short of a
parliamentary majority, meaning that Syriza will form a coalition with the
right-wing, but anti-austerity Independent Greeks party.

Tsipras succeeds Antonis Samaras of the New Democracy party, who imposed
harsh austerity measures on the country, leading to what members of Syriza
called a "humanitarian crisis."

<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/telesuragenda/Greek-Elections-20150121-001
5.html> Read more: What is at Stake in the Greek Elections?

On accepting victory Sunday night, Tsipras said, "Our victory is
simultaneously a victory for all the people of Europe who fight against
austerity which destroys our common European future."

Elsewhere in Europe, progressive political
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/World-Greets-Syriza-Victory-in-Greece
-20150125-0017.html> parties took Syriza's victory as encouragement for the
future of the left-wing across the continent.

Pablo Iglesias, leader of Spanish left-wing party Podemos, said "we will
celebrate the change in Europe and the change in Spain and Greece on Jan.
31" at a forthcoming rally.