[Peace-discuss] The real problem with Selma

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 26 20:38:31 EST 2015

Karen--

I assume you're talking about Adolph Reed's detailed article that takes the discussion about the film "Selma" as a starting point for an analysis of race and politics today, a subject he's written about - I think quite well - for some time:

<http://nonsite.org/editorial/the-real-problem-with-selma>.

The whole article is a good bit more than a review of the film. I suggest people read the whole thing.

"Ava Du Vernay’s film Selma has generated yet another wave of mass mediated debate over cinematic representation of black Americans’ historical experience of racial injustice ... Du Vernay and others have responded to complaints about the film’s historical accuracy, particularly in its portrayal of Lyndon Johnson, with invocations of artistic license and assertions that the film is not intended as historical scholarship."

Arguments like that, Reed says, have led to "the dizzyingly incoherent and breathtakingly shallow pop controversies spawned by recent films dramatizing either the black experience of slavery or the southern Jim Crow order." (He instances “Django Unchained" and "The Help.”)

And the specific "sensibilities" (I'd hear some irony) out of which these controversies come are those in the paragraph you quote. "History is beside the point for this potted narrative..."

The rest of the article is an attempt to restore some historical accuracy to the current discussion of race. That produces a quite different picture from those "sensibilities" - and Reed's analysis has (as H. Kissinger said in a deferent context) the added advantage of being true.

E.g., it's not a straight line of development: "...what most crucially connects successful disfranchisement at the beginning of the 20th century and contemporary efforts is not so much an invariant, transhistorical 'racism' ... but a very pragmatic attempt by powerful elites to shrivel the electorate to solidify partisan advantages for their narrow programs of upward redistribution..."

--CGE