[Peace-discuss] [Campuslabor] Athletes allege abuse and racism at University of Illinois

Ricky Baldwin rbaldwin at seiu73.org
Wed Jul 8 14:23:08 EDT 2015

I am with you.  I like the idea of perhaps a joint statement of some kind that the behavior described is reprehensible and should never be tolerated (without taking the position without evidence of our own whether the allegations are true or accurate) would be in order.  I recommend a very small number of people (1-2) to write the first draft.  If the goal is to have more signatures, you'll want to let folks see the draft and make comments (although not forever).  Ultimately, of course, people can decide whether to sign or not.

I also think that if any of the young women involved are willing to talk to a group, they ought to be asked about the size of the group and the format they'd be okay with.  Some might not want to speak to a group they would perceive as large, face to face.  Others might welcome the opportunity.  Just a thought.

Ricky