[Peace-discuss] AIPAC Statement Opposing Iran Deal

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Jul 15 17:23:24 EDT 2015

Here we go...

[image: AIPAC | America's Pro-Israel Lobby]

As promised in my letter to you yesterday, AIPAC’s policy experts have
carefully reviewed the entire proposed nuclear agreement with Iran,
including all of its annexes. *Following our detailed assessment, we have
come to the unfortunate conclusion that this agreement does not achieve the
minimum requirements necessary for an acceptable deal.*

AIPAC admires the determined efforts by America’s negotiating team over the
past many months, and we remain committed to a successful diplomatic
process to bring about an end to Iran’s nuclear weapons quest. As we have
said  since the negotiations began in 2013, diplomacy offers the best path
to peacefully resolving the Iranian nuclear issue. Regrettably, however,
the deal presented yesterday in Vienna falls short of its intentions to
make the United States, Israel and our allies safer. In fact, we believe
this agreement will do the opposite.

We can, and we must, do better.

*Over the next 60 days, AIPAC will focus on one goal: engaging and
convincing members of the House and Senate to oppose this deal and
ultimately seek a better one.*

A congressional rejection of this bad agreement will require the passion
and political activism of every single member of our movement. This effort
will demand unprecedented resources, energy and focus to engage our
representatives in Washington and to articulate the grave consequences of
accepting this deal.

Please take action today by contacting your members of Congress and urging
them to oppose this unacceptable agreement.
<http://cqrcengage.com/aipac/app/write-a-letter?1&engagementId=117733&elqTrackId=50D1C2C93D6F9CCA23082E401BA5464A&elq=fc189d4c7e894a78a5bf80b6dde681da&elqCampaignId=6405&elqaid=10055&elqat=1>

AIPAC published a press release moments ago, which further explains our
position and details our concerns with the proposed deal. Please read this
statement (included below) and share it broadly with those in your
community. In addition, please take a look at this fact sheet
<http://www.aipac.org/~/media/Publications/Policy%20and%20Politics/AIPAC%20Analyses/One%20Pagers/6%20Unacceptable%20Consequences.pdf?elqTrackId=DAEE88F01887B680D6A9BCA2D2196A49&elq=fc189d4c7e894a78a5bf80b6dde681da&elqCampaignId=6405&elqaid=10055&elqat=1>
highlighting
six unacceptable consequences of the proposed agreement.

I am proud to stand with you and with AIPAC as we meet this challenge
together and work to safeguard our future.

Thank you for all that you are about to do.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Cohen
AIPAC President

--

*AIPAC Statement on Proposed Iran Nuclear Agreement*

AIPAC has consistently supported diplomatic efforts to end Iran’s nuclear
weapons program, and we appreciate the commitment and dedication of
President Obama and his administration throughout these negotiations.
Unfortunately, this proposed agreement fails to halt Iran’s nuclear quest.
Instead, it would facilitate rather than prevent Iran from obtaining a
nuclear weapon and would further entrench and empower the leading state
sponsor of terror.

During these negotiations, we outlined criteria for a good deal that
Congress itself had set in five critical areas: inspections, possible
military dimensions, sanctions, duration and dismantlement. In each of
these areas, the proposed agreement has significant flaws:

   - The proposed deal does not ensure “anytime, anywhere” short-notice
   inspections;

   - The proposed deal does not clearly condition sanctions relief on full
   Iranian cooperation in satisfying International Atomic Energy Agency
   concerns over the possible military dimensions of Tehran’s program;

   - The proposed deal lifts sanctions as soon as the agreement commences,
   rather than gradually as Iran demonstrates sustained adherence to the
   agreement;

   - The proposed deal lifts key restrictions in as few as eight years;

   - The proposed deal would disconnect and store centrifuges in an easily
   reversible manner, but it requires no dismantlement of centrifuges or any
   Iranian nuclear facility;

   - In return for this flawed agreement, Iran will receive over $100
   billion in sanctions relief. Tehran will use these funds to fuel its
   hegemonic ambitions, support the killing of civilians in Syria, fund the
   terrorist organizations Hamas and Hezbollah, and spur deadly conflicts
   throughout the region.

This agreement not only fails to achieve its objectives in the nuclear
arena, but it releases Tehran in a matter of years — regardless of Iranian
behavior — from ballistic missile sanctions and an arms embargo imposed by
the United Nations Security Council. This late, unexpected concession will
provide additional arms for terrorism and proxy wars, while strengthening
Iran’s capabilities against our regional allies.

This accord threatens the future of the nuclear non-proliferation regime.
By leaving Iran on the threshold of a nuclear weapon — despite its history
of violating international obligations — other countries in the region will
have a dangerous incentive to initiate their own nuclear programs. The
resulting nuclear arms race would severely destabilize the region.

Proponents of the proposed agreement will argue that the only alternative
to this agreement is military conflict. In fact, the reverse is true. A bad
agreement such as this will invite instability and nuclear proliferation.
It will embolden Iran and may encourage regional conflict.

We strongly believe that the alternative to this bad deal is a better deal.
Congress should reject this agreement, and urge the administration to work
with our allies to maintain economic pressure on Iran while offering to
negotiate a better deal that will truly close off all Iranian paths to a
nuclear weapon.

Congress should insist on a better deal.

[image: The American Israel Public Affairs Committee][image:
http://www.aipac.org/?elq=fc189d4c7e894a78a5bf80b6dde681da&elqCampaignId=6405&elqaid=10055&elqat=1&elqTrackId=dc2221a3b0024e6f80fe22568bec0b34]
<http://www.aipac.org/?elq=fc189d4c7e894a78a5bf80b6dde681da&elqCampaignId=6405&elqaid=10055&elqat=1&elqTrackId=dc2221a3b0024e6f80fe22568bec0b34>[image:
http://www.twitter.com/aipac/?elq=fc189d4c7e894a78a5bf80b6dde681da&elqCampaignId=6405&elqaid=10055&elqat=1&elqTrackId=d8c73a2a4d414bf7a5b94ab0799be4f7]
<http://www.twitter.com/aipac/?elq=fc189d4c7e894a78a5bf80b6dde681da&elqCampaignId=6405&elqaid=10055&elqat=1&elqTrackId=d8c73a2a4d414bf7a5b94ab0799be4f7>[image: