[Peace-discuss] Governor signs Israeli bill; not opposed by local Democrats

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 10:52:03 EDT 2015

There is a need in politics for compromise and pragmatism, but it's hard to believe that failing to oppose apartheid in Palestine will be part of any such calculus. When Democrats had the run of the legislature, nothing was done to promote a long-term just tax structure, single payer healthcare, and equitable educational funding. It's hard to imagine what Ammons/Bennett acceding to the Israel Lobby would accomplish in the context of Rauner and disingenuous neoliberal Dems who can now point the finger at Rauner after dropping the ball (charitably put) during their years in office. There's no sense in avoiding the reason why we need a Green Party: the Dems are a corporate/neoliberal party. In this context, it hardly matters what Ammons/Bennett claim to want to accomplish. They are part of a system that cannot and will not promote any meaningful structural changes. If the Prairie Greens are serious, we should run candidates against them.
I think that on yesterday's edition of News from Neptune, which is or will shortly be available on Youtube and will be aired on UPTV this afternoon (Saturday) at 2, we (Carl and I) made a good faith and honest effort to discuss some of these issues in relation to local politics, media, and the Black Lives Matter movement. I will be glad to politely address concerns and criticism regarding the views expressed. In any event, I find support for well-intended individuals who work within corrupt institutions to be problematic. I find defensiveness about holding Ammons/Bennett accountable for a horrible and frankly immoal decision regarding fundamental racism to be equally problematic. Ammons/Bennett are elected officials, not cults.
More importantly, these debates need to occur in open forums in our community; there's no reason for the progressive community to behave like the Zionist community, with its avoidance, repression, and back-channel pressures and dealings (all in passive/active promotion of racist policies that kill thousands and impoverish millions).
The following letter was submitted to the News-Gazette a few days ago, and will likely appear within a few days. Whatever the criticism of the Black Lives Matter movement that were expressed on News from Neptune yesterday, this letter represents an attempt to place SB1761 in a larger context. Again, I will gladly accept reactions to these views:
The connection between what is now called the “Black Lives Matter” movement and the movement for justice in Palestine can be traced to the aftermath of Israel’s aggressive 1967 war of choice that resulted in the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza—what has come to be called Palestine. Black Power advocates at that time rightly came to see Palestine as an anti-colonialist cause.While there were undertones of anti-Semitism in some blacks’ rhetoric, accusations were exaggerated in order to deflect attention from the fundamentally racist nature of Israel’s treatment of the Palestinian people, both within Israel and under the occupation regime. Moreover, the slogan “from Gaza to Ferguson” appropriately characterizes relationships between American and Israeli militarism and surveillance, including the training of American police in Israel.The Boycott Divestment Sanctions (BDS) movement joins the Black Lives Matter movement in non-violent resistance to state-sponsored racist oppression. It is slandered locally by privileged and liberal academics, administrators, and Zionists who feather their own narrowly professional nests while having nothing to do with movements for social justice other than perhaps a few pretty words on Martin Luther King’s birthday.It is in this context that Israel Lobby propagandists proposed legislation in Springfield that not only condemns the BDS movement, but requires foreign corporations to invest in apartheid Palestine. Remarkably, this odious business was passed without dissent, including from African-American legislators. But these individuals should have to answer not only to advocates for justice in Palestine, but to the Black Lives Matter movement.David Green